The Student Room Group

Engineering degree without Science A Levels (Foundation year?)

Hello.
I got A*AAA in my A levels and I did Maths, Economics, Geography and History.

I know it sounds utterly stupid but I didn't do Physics/Chem/Bio because I simply didn't like it at 16. In the past three years I've just been reading more and more about mechanical engineering and how fascinating it all is, which unsurprisingly fills me with a deep despair.

Perhaps a problem in itself, my little sister is very ill and I didn't go to university this year in order to look after her - but something I read filled me with at least the slightest bit of hope.

A "foundation year" which would allow people to do a degree they have the grades for....except in other subjects (thus not having the grades for but, I digress). Does anyone know what this is like?

Also if anyone has experience in this field, would they recommend it? I was so immature at 16 and I just saw engineering and science in general as boring nerdy stuff (I know how immature that sounds) but I was 16! I had no ideas the wonders science could unravel and how thrilling it must be to have the opportunity to build, create and research things.

Is there any hope for someone like me?
Have a look at foundation programs you may be interested in and see if you meet the entry requirements. Then apply. That's the only way to find out. But yes it is a good route into a subject you don't currently have the grades or qualifications to study.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending