Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have just finished my GCSEs and for some reason I just feel like what was the point of all of that work?! I only need GCSEs to get into sixth form and I was reading something and it says GCSEs don't really matter.
    Do you think they matter?
    I just feel a bit like what was the point of all of that because I'm going to do most subjects again.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, exam season is heavy and all of our adrenaline has suddenly stopped. You'll probably feel like a nihilist, but thats all normal and you'll eventually be glad to be alive soon.

(Original post by Marshall Taylor)
    Yeah, exam season is heavy and all of our adrenaline has suddenly stopped. You'll probably feel like a nihilist, but thats all normal and you'll eventually be glad to be alive soon.
    ok that's good

ReputationRep:
    They dont really matter in terms of once you have A-levels they are seen as more important the same way as when you have a degree that is seen as more valuable then A-levels.

That is not to say getting really good GCSEs is a waste of time in the slightest most universities now look at GCSEs to consider applicants so having good GCSEs is only beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    so how are you going to get into the sixth form? by passing your GCSEs and meeting the requirements unless you dont want to do A levels or college? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    since the government are changing AS Levels, gcse grades will become more important for university admission.

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs are actually crucial. They open up the doors to college which opens up a door to university. The only people I've ever heard saying that GCSEs don't matter are the ones that left school at 16 with not a single C in any subject.

Such blog posts are only made to make you not feel bad if you feel like you didn't do well or if you didn't get the grades but after all, they are important. Even if after school you are not looking into carrying on with eduction, GCSEs still are crucial for eg. Apprenticeships as some will ask for basic GCSEs at a minimum C grade (maths and English language).

When it comes to work, it's known that a lot of employers will ask for maths and English and sometimes even some other GCSEs at C and above.

They are your very first qualifications that will most certainly put you at a much higher position than someone who does not have them

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by TSRFT8)
    They dont really matter in terms of once you have A-levels they are seen as more important the same way as when you have a degree that is seen as more valuable then A-levels.

That is not to say getting really good GCSEs is a waste of time in the slightest most universities now look at GCSEs to consider applicants so having good GCSEs is only beneficial.
    Oh ok. I don't know if I got good grades or not though. I think I got about 2 A*s and maybe 2 As. The rest could be Bs and Cs which I'm not sure is good or not

ReputationRep:
    If you want a job during sixth form then good gcses are gonna help you out

(Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    since the government are changing AS Levels, gcse grades will become more important for university admission.
    oh ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Oh ok. I don't know if I got good grades or not though. I think I got about 2 A*s and maybe 2 As. The rest could be Bs and Cs which I'm not sure is good or not

most people don't get A*'s at gcse and tsr will tell you these grades are ' ok ' when in reality when it comes to uni unless you wanna do medicine or law then you're not going to be frowned upon for getting a c or a b.

I got a C in gcse graphics for example - at the time i was feeling bad but now i think about it, what does it mean in the grand scheme of things

(Original post by katherine9609)
    GCSEs are actually crucial. They open up the doors to college which opens up a door to university. The only people I've ever heard saying that GCSEs don't matter are the ones that left school at 16 with not a single C in any subject.

Such blog posts are only made to make you not feel bad if you feel like you didn't do well or if you didn't get the grades but after all, they are important. Even if after school you are not looking into carrying on with eduction, GCSEs still are crucial for eg. Apprenticeships as some will ask for basic GCSEs at a minimum C grade (maths and English language).

When it comes to work, it's known that a lot of employers will ask for maths and English and sometimes even some other GCSEs at C and above.

They are your very first qualifications that will most certainly put you at a much higher position than someone who does not have them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ok thanks for this. But the blog post was written by someone who I assume is quite clever though but it might be wrong I don't know. Do you think I will be ok with a couple of A*s and a coupe of As and a few Bs and Cs then???

(Original post by fefssdf)
    most people don't get A*'s at gcse and tsr will tell you these grades are ' ok ' when in reality when it comes to uni unless you wanna do medicine or law then you're not going to be frowned upon for getting a c or a b.

I got a C in gcse graphics for example - at the time i was feeling bad but now i think about it, what does it mean in the grand scheme of things
    ok yayayaya

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    ok thanks for this. But the blog post was written by someone who I assume is quite clever though but it might be wrong I don't know. Do you think I will be ok with a couple of A*s and a coupe of As and a few Bs and Cs then???
    Most people tend to only end up with C's and B's at the most so with A*'s and A's as well as Bs and C's you'll definitely be okay. Any grades for GCSEs that are C and above are good grades after all

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by katherine9609)
    Most people tend to only end up with C's and B's at the most so with A*'s and A's as well as Bs and C's you'll definitely be okay. Any grades for GCSEs that are C and above are good grades after all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ok that's brilliant! thanks

(Original post by fefssdf)
    If you want a job during sixth form then good gcses are gonna help you out
    OOOH ok

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.