Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So long story short, my first 2 years at sixth form were abysmal due to the simple fact that I was running a business during my time. Seeing the money coming in, I spent 100% of my time on it. Failed AS and then neglected AS resits and A2 in my second year.

Plan was then to take a gap year, find a job for a couple months and then from around Feb/March, start studying for retakes of all papers. Once again, money got to my head and left revision too late as I was either working, eating or sleeping.

During this year (my gap year), I've truly realised how easy a levels are. First time I've revised for them but as it was too late, I know I have not done well. I worked a decent amount for 13 IGCSEs and came out with mostly A*s so I know I am capable of getting results if I put in the work.

I have enough money to move out (parents gave me the gap year to sort myself out) and live comfortably for a year and study throughout the whole year. This would mean retaking all my papers again and finishing A levels in 4 years.

If the results for this year are bad, I will probably not get any offers for the next, and so I would resort to clearing; retaking all exams in summer of 2017 and entering clearing of 2017. If I ace my exams (please let's not discuss my capabilities, but just the situation), will unis in clearing not offer me a place due to being 20 years old? Do uni's (excluding top 5) frown upon a 2 year gap year?

TIA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retsymuw)

[x irrelevancies]

will unis in clearing not offer me a place due to being 20 years old? Do uni's (excluding top 5) frown upon a 2 year gap year?

TIA
    No. Almost certainly not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by retsymuw)
    So long story short, my first 2 years at sixth form were abysmal due to the simple fact that I was running a business during my time. Seeing the money coming in, I spent 100% of my time on it. Failed AS and then neglected AS resits and A2 in my second year.

Plan was then to take a gap year, find a job for a couple months and then from around Feb/March, start studying for retakes of all papers. Once again, money got to my head and left revision too late as I was either working, eating or sleeping.

During this year (my gap year), I've truly realised how easy a levels are. First time I've revised for them but as it was too late, I know I have not done well. I worked a decent amount for 13 IGCSEs and came out with mostly A*s so I know I am capable of getting results if I put in the work.

I have enough money to move out (parents gave me the gap year to sort myself out) and live comfortably for a year and study throughout the whole year. This would mean retaking all my papers again and finishing A levels in 4 years.

If the results for this year are bad, I will probably not get any offers for the next, and so I would resort to clearing; retaking all exams in summer of 2017 and entering clearing of 2017. If I ace my exams (please let's not discuss my capabilities, but just the situation), will unis in clearing not offer me a place due to being 20 years old? Do uni's (excluding top 5) frown upon a 2 year gap year?

TIA
    Of course not! University isn't compulsory after A Levels; sometimes you need a while to consider what your future plans are. My friend decided to go to Uni this September and he's 21. My old teacher decided she wanted a degree in languages and went to Uni aged 50. I took a gap year on impulse to do A Level resits which I finished last week and i'll hopefully be starting Uni this September( I myself am 19.) Tbh I'm in the same position as you. I took a job the day after I finished my A Level exams and I was so enticed by the money as I worked full time, that I didnt give myself time to study. I left in January in order to study but I didnt start studying till March, therefore lost out on more money which could've gone towards my degree which i'm still p****d off about, my one regret. But there are no limitations, it's just down to whether you feel ready for further education and if you have the grades and the capabilities which i'm sure you have.
    Good luck for the future!!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.