Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm going to be studying marine biology in September and have noticed that the Institute of Marine Sciences is a long way away from the uni campus. I was wondering where would be the best place to try and find accommodation? (preferably in a house as I have generally found it's cheaper than halls) How have past students managed previously?
    Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi there! Hannah from the Housing team @ UoP here. The closest accommodation to the IofMS is actually the Langstone Student Village - it's literally next to it! Check out www.port.ac.uk/accommodation for more information about this site!

If you are looking for a shared house, why not check out our official accommodation listings at www.portsmouthstudentpad.co.uk so you can be sure you are using a trusted website )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UoPHousingTeam)
    Hi there! Hannah from the Housing team @ UoP here. The closest accommodation to the IofMS is actually the Langstone Student Village - it's literally next to it! Check out www.port.ac.uk/accommodation for more information about this site!

If you are looking for a shared house, why not check out our official accommodation listings at www.portsmouthstudentpad.co.uk so you can be sure you are using a trusted website )
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

If you're looking on private rented accommodation, I'd recommend going on the freshers' Facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/groups/1518404155146199/

People often post asking for an extra roommate for a house. http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/Portsmouth.asp

Good luck
    x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UoPHousingTeam)

Hi Hannah- do you know when we'll find out what accommodation we've been allocated..? A few people online think early July but no one is able to confirm it.

Thanks
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hello Izzy, Christine for the UoP Information Centre here! Notifications will be sent out by Student Housing from the end of July. If you have been successful in securing a room in halls you will be asked to pay your deposit at this time to confirm your reservation. Best wishes

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Myself and 2 other girls that are starting our masters in September are looking for a 4th person to join us in our house. The house is on Jubilee Road which appears to be about 10 minutes from the Institute of Marine Biology. We have a single bedroom available and the rent in £300 per month.

I hope that this helps,

Kelsey
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by IzzyWatkins)
    Hi Hannah- do you know when we'll find out what accommodation we've been allocated..? A few people online think early July but no one is able to confirm it.

Thanks
    Hi Izzy! It's from this month onwards, so keep an eye out for updates on the application portal and in your emails!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Myself and 2 other girls are starting our masters degree and are looking for a 4th person to join our house. The house is on Jubilee Road which appears to be about 10 minutes from the Institute of Marine Sciences. We have a single bedroom available and the rent is £300 per month.

I hope that this helps,

Kelsey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelseylou94)
    Hello,

Myself and 2 other girls are starting our masters degree and are looking for a 4th person to join our house. The house is on Jubilee Road which appears to be about 10 minutes from the Institute of Marine Sciences. We have a single bedroom available and the rent is £300 per month.

I hope that this helps,

Kelsey
    Hey,

That sounds really good, unfortunately I'm waiting to hear back from the uni as to whether I have actually got in or not- as my application was more 'unusual' and they are being very confusing. If they do accept me I'll get back to you (if you haven't filled the room by then haha)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelseylou94)
    Hello,

I hope that this helps,

Kelsey
    Hey again, I've just had my place confirmed at the uni and am definitely interested in the room you have available if it's still on offer? Would you be able to PM with some more details? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    When would the deposit need to be in by as i have a low income and it would be hard coming up with that amount ?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by IzzyWatkins)

Thanks
    Hi Izzy, we're letting people know from this month onwards so keep an eye on your emails, the application portal and the post ) We do allocations in batches and send them out accordingly as it's quite a big task to undertake )
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by JustJosh1e)
    When would the deposit need to be in by as i have a low income and it would be hard coming up with that amount ?
    Hi Josh, if you are allocated a place in one of the UoP halls, you get 2 weeks from the date you receive your allocation notice to pay the £250; if you are allocated a Unite Students hall, you get approximately a week from when you accept the room and they will call you to take payment over the 'phone. Once you know where you will be living, get in touch with the appropriate team and they can advise you further.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi,

Susan from UoP Information Centre here ..just for further info whether you end up in halls or private rental, there is a free University bus runs from campus to the Marine Sciences Building. Please click here for the timetable, it's the one
    listed IMS
    http://www.port.ac.uk/maps-and-directions/

(Original post by trc96)
    Hi,

I'm going to be studying marine biology in September and have noticed that the Institute of Marine Sciences is a long way away from the uni campus. I was wondering where would be the best place to try and find accommodation? (preferably in a house as I have generally found it's cheaper than halls) How have past students managed previously?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone know when we'll find out about accommodation? Some people found out on the 1st of July but there's been nothing after that. I need to know if I got into halls so I can start looking for a house if I didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farr1)
    Hi does anyone know when we'll find out about accommodation? Some people found out on the 1st of July but there's been nothing after that. I need to know if I got into halls so I can start looking for a house if I didn't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's from July onwards-
    Margaret Rule hall have already sent out rooms to people but the other halls are still sorting their's out

If you're not a member already, I'd join the Facebook group: you can get chatting to people in your course/ hall and take some anxiety away from the first day ahaha
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1704117349817620/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.