Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was doing a question about resonance of sound box connecting to a tuning fork. It asks why the sound lasts for a shorter time with sound box than if the tuning fork is struck identically without the sound box.
    Is it because the sound box dampens the vibration of tuning fork, or because due to larger contact area of box with air the box transfers vibrational energy at higher rate to air, or these two reasons are actually the same thing? So does it mean that resonator will always dampen the driving oscillator? I'm quite confused between the idea of energy transfer in resonance and damping. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgygt)
    I was doing a question about resonance of sound box connecting to a tuning fork. It asks why the sound lasts for a shorter time with sound box than if the tuning fork is struck identically without the sound box.
    Is it because the sound box dampens the vibration of tuning fork, or because due to larger contact area of box with air the box transfers vibrational energy at higher rate to air, or these two reasons are actually the same thing? So does it mean that resonator will always dampen the driving oscillator? I'm quite confused between the idea of energy transfer in resonance and damping. Thanks in advance
    As you have said, The sound box dampens the vibrations of the fork. This causes a larger transfer of energy (than without the sound box) from the fork to the surroundings, so the total energy of the fork decreases more rapidly and the oscillations die out more quickly.

The amplitude of the resulting sound is higher due to larger contact area of box with air the box transfers energy to larger volume of air.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.