Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How badly would a history of drugs be viewed in a professional work environment??

Anyone?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    How badly would a history of drugs be viewed in a professional work environment??
    Depends what drugs, how long ago, what job etc. I can immagine it could hurt your chances of getting a job and mean people judge you a bit, but if it was a good while ago I would immagine it wouldn't be too bad. Depends on the job though. It would be a far bigger deal in childcare or something than a general desk job or something.

Also frankly depends if they know. If it's something you have to declare to employers then they would know but I don't think they are allowed to tell the rest of the workforce so if you're worried about individuals judging you that may not be an issue.

ReputationRep:
    A large percentage of the population experiment during their teens and through uni ect, employers know this... A criminal record on the other hand might give you a disadvantage

If there was videos of somebody clearly under the influence of drugs and they were to be sent around in a professional work environment, do you think it would be enough for an instant dismissal?

I'm going to move this to Advice on Everyday Issues because more people tend to hang around there and can hopefully give you the advice you need. You can post anon there btw.

I would expect they can only dismiss you if it were likely to have an affect on your work currently. So if it's only a history you should be fine. If you do get issues with it I would suggest you talk to your HR team if you have one. I (bare in mind I'm just some random person- not an expert) don't think it's fair or allowed to fire somebody based on a past life, so as long as you are clean now and don't have a record I would think you're safe or can question if anything does happen.

Hope that helps
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm going to move this to Advice on Everyday Issues because more people tend to hang around there and can hopefully give you the advice you need. You can post anon there btw.

I would expect they can only dismiss you if it were likely to have an affect on your work currently. So if it's only a history you should be fine. If you do get issues with it I would suggest you talk to your HR team if you have one. I (bare in mind I'm just some random person- not an expert) don't think it's fair or allowed to fire somebody based on a past life, so as long as you are clean now and don't have a record I would think you're safe or can question if anything does happen.

Hope that helps
    Oops. That should not have been anon.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.