Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Leavers! How would you feel about the Norway option? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Remarks made my prominent leavers Boris Johnson and Dan Hannan have led others and myself to suspect they may agree to a 'Norway style' deal where essentially the UK would be inside the single market (but would pay and accept EU free movement) but would be outside of the EU (no CAP or CFP, greater independence from Brussels legislation and freedom to do deals separately )

If this was the deal reached by a Prime Minister Boris, how would you feel?

ReputationRep:
    Unlike many, immigration wasn't a huge concern of mine. I would prefer if it were somewhat curbed, but it is no deal-breaker. Hence this deal would seem quite satisfactory.
    (though if we pay the same amount, eh..)

ReputationRep:
    I believe that this is quite an expensive option..
    We're soon to be out of the EU so I guess this is the only option to restore 'some' of the damage that will happen...

ReputationRep:
    What about our £350 million for the NHS?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Already backtracked on by Nigel less than 24 hours after winning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Remarks made my prominent leavers Boris Johnson and Dan Hannan have led others and myself to suspect they may agree to a 'Norway style' deal where essentially the UK would be inside the single market (but would pay and accept EU free movement) but would be outside of the EU (no CAP or CFP, greater independence from Brussels legislation and freedom to do deals separately )

If this was the deal reached by a Prime Minister Boris, how would you feel?
    What have i been saying for weeks. A little shocked Hannan is supporting it though, perhaps he is a libertarian rather than little englander afterall.

Needless to say i'll be very pleased if we get the Norway option and indeed i'll go further and state that it's broadly what i voted for with the caveat that we need an immigration opt out for new member states (so Poland is fine, Turkey is not). To be honest i was always say 70/30 that if we left the Tories would be pragmatic enough to end up with this option after the two sides have postured for a while and if i actually thought we'd be kicked out of the single market, i'd have voted to remain.

The Norway option is a little imperfect but it allows us to keep our toe in Europe while giving the outside world a chance, the best of both worlds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U-GradeStudent)
    I believe that this is quite an expensive option..
    We're soon to be out of the EU so I guess this is the only option to restore 'some' of the damage that will happen...
    Norway scaled up would mean we pay a contribition of about £3bn which is still much less than our net contribution.

(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Unlike many, immigration wasn't a huge concern of mine. I would prefer if it were somewhat curbed, but it is no deal-breaker. Hence this deal would seem quite satisfactory.
    (though if we pay the same amount, eh..)
    I'm in the same boat (bar refugees) and i think that the Norway option is probably very attractive to those of us who put the economy before immigration or other things. I also think its an easier sell to Scotland, NI and the remain areas in general.

ReputationRep:
    I voted leave and wouldn't be ardently against a Norway style deal. Immigration wasn't a major concern for me although I have never, and never will be, for free unrestricted movement. I think we'll need to gauge the mood of the EU between now and October. I honestly believe if Germany, Austria, Greece & Holland had referendums tomorrow then they'd vote to leave as well. The EU will want to get this process over with as soon as possible so it can stomp out further calls for reform and reinsert its fingers into its ears.

The experiment has failed, all this 'closer union' has brought is further inequality across the whole continent, if something is invulnerable to reform after forty years then it cannot be reformed and does not want to be. We have left wing governments in France & Italy stripping workers' rights and union laws just as fast as night-watchmen state would be and not a peep from the EU. The idea that this union is progressive and liberal is laughable, it's a business relationship which is largely unaccountable and very open to corruption, much like the US government.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Norway and own several businesses in both UK and Norway.

My guess is they would most likely opt for a Norway style deal, is it a good deal? I think it is a good deal for Norway which is a fairly small economy and generally a high-cost economy, nothing cheap ever comes out of Norway. It also pays a fair bit of money for access to the single market as 80% of its economy outside of the state is with the EU, therefore it does make sense to have such an arrangement.

As a result of such an arrangement 90% of all EU regulations other than the CAP and CFP does need to be adhered to or there are fines imposed. Good or bad, IMO if this was the arrangement wanted we should have voted to remain as at least we'd have a seat in Brussels to at add some influence to the whole process of EU laws. This was one particular reason why many countries outside the Eurozone wanted UK to remain within the EU as UK would have better looked after the interests of those not within the Eurozone and somewhat had a foot on the brakepedal for complete integration. Now this tasks will fall on Sweden and all I can say is urghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh especially with that damn idiot running the country.

Also do note that whoever that tells you there would be less regulations are mostly living in their own fantasy, being out of the EU but part of the EEA means all rules must be legislated and there is absolutely nothing at all that prevents more homegrown regulations from being imposed of which there are plenty off in Norway. I wouldn't be surprised if it would be the same case in UK in time to come.

Is the arrangement good for UK? I believe it won't be cheap and I highly doubt UK will be able to keep the rebates. Personally I think it is better to legislate a complete withdrawal in 2 years and in the interim to negotiate a free trade agreement as there really isn't a necessity to be part of the single market to trade with EU as it should be no different from trading with USA.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.