Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I've just finished my first year of an extended diploma in Public Services. My grade for this year was D*D (200 UCAS points). I'm hoping to join the police and eventually go into CID, but with the recent news of the police entrance requirements changing to all applicants needing a uni degree from 2019 onwards, my teachers have advised I should look at going to uni.
    So I'd like to study a course based on criminology and policing, and ideally one where I join the Police Specials as part of the course. I've been looking at Nottingham Trent, UCLan and Birmingham City so far. Can anyone give me any advice/recommendations??

ReputationRep:
    Edgehill university is great for policing! It's on the outskirts of Liverpool, surrounded by lakes and in the middle of Omskirk town centre. Should definitely give it a try, that's my first choice and I'm wanting to do policing

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend looking at the league tables on the complete university guide website, it's really good and you can choose your subject and look at the best unis for it. Sometimes the top few are quite surprising! Good luck with it all. Saskia.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exactly same position! I'm picking hull or MMU for criminology then going on to do policing after three years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocciemilkshake)
    Hi, so I've just finished my first year of an extended diploma in Public Services. My grade for this year was D*D (200 UCAS points). I'm hoping to join the police and eventually go into CID, but with the recent news of the police entrance requirements changing to all applicants needing a uni degree from 2019 onwards, my teachers have advised I should look at going to uni.
    So I'd like to study a course based on criminology and policing, and ideally one where I join the Police Specials as part of the course. I've been looking at Nottingham Trent, UCLan and Birmingham City so far. Can anyone give me any advice/recommendations??
    Nottingham Trent is certainly developing its Police profile and has some retired officers (like me). Portsmouth Uni, Liverpool, Leeds and Sheffield. Look for a uni that has good ties with the local force. For example Thames Valley Police is working a lot with Northampton. My advice would be to go to University as now Theresa May is the PM I expect police reform will gather pace. If you need more help go to my website to contact me, or find me on twitter (consensustutor).

ReputationRep:
    UCL if you can wait a couple of years

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.