The Student Room Group

Brexit; We dared to dream!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Audrey18
What really impresses me is that Farage did not go to Oxbridge but dived straight into the world world where he actually had a proper job for 20+ years.

You are right. His father was a rich stockbroker and he was educated at Dulwich College, that ummm private public school and then became a stock broker. Like you say - he is one of us.
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Good job! What has leaving done for us straight away?
-Not taken control of our borders
-Admitted lying about £350m to the NHS
-Reduced the pound coin to it's lowest in 30 years
-Destroyed our market
-Made other countries hate us
-Will be the start of recession and inflation!
-Removed David Cameron, the only one with enough experience to lead us through this unstable time
-Elected Boris Johnson as potential PM (I heard he still hasn't had a shower)

What are brexit doing after destroying our economy?
Celebration, why of course! smh

Well, at least now we can get rid of all those pesky immigrants that are keeping our economy afloat! And we can get rid of all that expensive red tape (workers' and consumers' rights)!!

Oh, and we're finally free from the Common Fisheries Policy. Red tape. We're finally able to finish fishing the fish populations into extinction for a short term profit!!
People need to forget their party affliations, just close their eyes and listen to what Milliband, Cameron, Corbyn, Balls, Farage etc speak. They will realize that only Farage is speaking sense. What really impresses me is that Farage did not go to Oxbridge but dived straight into the world world where he actually had a proper job for 20+ years. Yet he speaks so well and he speaks with sense.

The 4 million votes UKIP got in the recent General Election was just the tip of the iceberg. The other parties did not take the hammering they got in terms of vote share, seriously because they were saved by FTFP. The Brexit victory was the knockout punch.

If Boris becomes the next PM, no leader from other countries will take him seriously. He doesn't stand for anything apart from 'Boris bikes', he is from another world altogether so will never be able to resonate with ordinary British folk and tbh he's just a clown. With Gove as his number 2 (who in my opinion will go down in UK history as the worst every education ministers), we could be witnessing reruns of ............

Spoiler

Farage doesn't have a bit of sense about him.
Original post by JamesN88
First bit of good news I've heard all day as I'll be starting a CompSci degree in September.:smile:

Brill! Go for it! It can some times be a bit hard to get your foot on the ladder so any experience or personal projects you can get under your belt will help. Ironically, I am leaving the profession in favour of becoming a teacher of computer science - another much in demand job! :smile:

Good luck!
xx

In regards to the arrogant comments by EU students, years ago I said the same thing in reaction to the types of comments by them you mention. I was shouted down as a racist and they said that they (the EU students) are equally deserving despite their sentiments around using our country and giving nothing back.

Yesterday the British people in the majority made the right decision, a fair democratic decision. I have waited years for this day. I was tired of being told how I should vote, I voted for Brexit although I never told anyone because the hysteria was so high. Instead of talking to us as equals, they shouted us down and treated us like idiots. This is what they got, they cry for compassionate politics and yet they fling the mud.

Our voices are subdued by such stronghanded tactics on the Bremain side, where they try to shout us down. However, our votes are what counted in the end.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Ahh so the brexit idiots come out after the economic chaos in the morning. Typical. Turn a blind eye to it all.
Youre going to be so mad when Boris accepts free movement for joining the single market!
Original post by JordanL_
Well, at least now we can get rid of all those pesky immigrants that are keeping our economy afloat! And we can get rid of all that expensive red tape (workers' and consumers' rights)!!

Oh, and we're finally free from the Common Fisheries Policy. Red tape. We're finally able to finish fishing the fish populations into extinction for a short term profit!!

Finally, we can start fresh by forcing businesses into exile around the country! We're finally able to allow British jobs to be cut while the foreign CEO's leave the EU! We're finally able to start living life outside the EU! It's not like we have to wait until article 50 is in place or anything, because we are Brexit and we have voted to leave! Yay!! Hooray for daring freedom!
Reply 28
Original post by ByEeek
Not I. I have seen 10% wiped off the value of my pension fund. My mate who works in travel has seen the price of the holidays they are trying to sell go up by 8% today an all my mates planning to go on holiday in Europe this summer are kicking themselves for not buying their Euros yesterday.

The problem with politics and dreaming is that it is really easy to dream. "Follow me," they say "I have a dream," and so you all follow. And then a couple of years down the line you discover that not only did they lie (I note that Farage has already admitted the £350 million number was made up), but the dream they promised is impossible to deliver because they don't actually have the power or influence needed to deliver the changes promised.

The UK's fate is now no longer in the hands of our politicians. The economy is now at the discretion of the markets. If the pound continues to fall, imports will be more expensive and prices will go up. The BofE may have to raise interest rates to counter inflation which will impact on borrowing, house prices, rent prices and our weak economy at large.

Internationally we are now at the mercy of the EU who are seeing an uprising in other parties calling for their own independence referendums. They will need to act one way or another to stop the total destruction of the EU and if that means selling the UK out, so be it.

Internally we have a nation divided. Our main political parties lie in ruins, rudderless and without authority or leadership, and at a time when leadership and direction are desperately required. We are also seeing Scotland and Northern Ireland calling for independence from the UK, not to mention Spain moving in on Gibraltar.

I have no idea what your dream was, but whatever you hoped to achieve, I hope for the sake of all of us, you haven't cut off your nose to spite your face. We will see what happens in the coming days and months, but from my limited experience of the last 20 years, people who follow politicians with dreams rarely see those dreams realised.

Were your friends unaware of the risk that exchange rates would fluctuate? If so did they vote? And what way?
Reply 29
**** off with your independence day nonsense. Don't trivialise the genuine oppression of colonialized nations because you don't like immigration and bureaucracy. To even compare the EU to an oppressing empire like that is so ignorant.
Ironically, half the world's independence days are about celebrating chucking out the British.
Reply 30
What really impresses me is that Farage did not go to Oxbridge but dived straight into the world world where he actually had a proper job for 20+ years.

With all due respect, have you ever had a job?

Really wish people would stop going on about freeing up money to invest in new hospitals, improve border controls, education etc. All of a sudden this relatively tiny (and not entirely accurate) "350 million a week" is being spread very thinly. It's as if some people are unaware that the annual budget for the NHS is around 116 billion.

Frankly, I think you the way you discuss those infected with HIV absolutely disgusting
Reply 31
Original post by RobML
**** off with your independence day nonsense. Don't trivialise the genuine oppression of colonialized nations because you don't like immigration and bureaucracy. To even compare the EU to an oppressing empire like that is so ignorant.
Ironically, half the world's independence days are about celebrating chucking out the British.

And our Independence Day is about taking back control from Brussels, it is a fair use of the name we have decided to leave the eu like these nations left the empire just because the way a nations power was stolen is different doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate taking back control.
Original post by ByEeek
Brill! Go for it! It can some times be a bit hard to get your foot on the ladder so any experience or personal projects you can get under your belt will help. Ironically, I am leaving the profession in favour of becoming a teacher of computer science - another much in demand job! :smile:

Good luck!

Cheers.

That's a perfect plan as you can still keep side earners going as well with a guaranteed income from teaching.
Reply 33
Original post by joecphillips
And our Independence Day is about taking back control from Brussels, it is a fair use of the name we have decided to leave the eu like these nations left the empire just because the way a nations power was stolen is different doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate taking back control.

Well if you want to operate in the single market you'll have to secede that "control" again anyway, without any say in it. Shooting yourself in the foot.
Original post by RobML

THE EU IS A DICTATORSHIP!!!

Spoiler

Reply 35
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Seriously Audrey do you copy and paste this? :tongue:

ah, you again.

I've already told you twice before and I shall say this for the third time. Neither do I have memberships on other forums nor read material from there. I also do not read the BBC, Guardian etc. The BBC is part of The State. It's role is to be the political mouthpiece for the government. To do otherwise is not how a special relationship works.

So how do I increase my knowledge? I watch documentaries. I speak, read and write in 6 languages so it helps cos more often than not, the English media will not pick up on news that the foreign media does. Case in point? The 1049 (reported) cases of sexual abuse, molest or rape committed by migrants in Cologne on New Year's Day this year.

I am original so accept it.

Original post by ByEeek
You are right. His father was a rich stockbroker and he was educated at Dulwich College, that ummm private public school and then became a stock broker. Like you say - he is one of us.
No darling, he was a metals trader.
https://next.ft.com/content/02cad03a-844f-11e4-bae9-00144feabdc0

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11509573/Nigel-Farage-A-plane-crash-cancer-and-the-leader-of-the-Ukip-party.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32612295

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2016/06/reckoning-radical-what-next-nigel-farage

Original post by James.Carnell
In regards to the arrogant comments by EU students, years ago I said the same thing in reaction to the types of comments by them you mention. I was shouted down as a racist and that they are equally deserving despite their sentiments around using our country and giving nothing back.

Yesterday the British people in the majority made the right decision, a fair democratic decision. I have waited years for this day. I was tired of being told how I should vote, I voted for Brexit although I never told anyone because the hysteria was so high. Instead of talking to us as equals, they shouted us down and treated us like idiots. This is what they got, they cry for compassionate politics and yet they fling the mud.Our voices are subdued by such stronghanded tactics on the Bremain side, where they try to shout us down. However, our votes are what counted in the end.

Don't you worry. I've already emailed Oxford, Cambridge and the London unis + provided them with screenshots. I hope that by my action, from this application cycle onwards, university places can be given to deserving British students who will pay up later on upon graduation and not disappear. The reason why some of these EU citizens have the audacity to speak and behave in the way they did was because the UK government gave them a free pass. Those days are numbered.

Over the course of the past few months, I have chatted with several people on this forum who were from all over EU and elsewhere. They have come into UK with their parents/guardian, enrolled in sixthform, want to get into uni, take up loans, have no intention of paying back and then either returning back to their home country or venturing to the richer countries in Asia. With Brexit and good people in charge, those days are numbered.
Original post by JC25
With all due respect, have you ever had a job?

Spoiler

If you knew, you would be shell-shocked.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by James.Carnell
In regards to the arrogant comments by EU students, years ago I said the same thing in reaction to the types of comments by them you mention. I was shouted down as a racist and they said that they (the EU students) are equally deserving despite their sentiments around using our country and giving nothing back.

Who's giving nothing back? EU immigrants on average contribute 34% more than they take in welfare and services, compared to 2% for non-EU immigrants and negative something for British natives.

If you want to see what using countries and giving nothing back is like, you should take a look at the several hundred thousands British expats that have been spending their retirement in Spain for the last few decades, that might soon be heading home.
Any nominations for most upset remainer on TSR?
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Good job! What has leaving done for us straight away?
-Not taken control of our borders
-Admitted lying about £350m to the NHS
-Reduced the pound coin to it's lowest in 30 years
-Destroyed our market
-Made other countries hate us
-Will be the start of recession and inflation!
-Removed David Cameron, the only one with enough experience to lead us through this unstable time
-Elected Boris Johnson as potential PM (I heard he still hasn't had a shower)
-Made Marshall Taylor cry through meme magic

What are brexit doing after destroying our economy?
Celebration, why of course! smh

You forgot one.
ah, you again.

I've already told you twice before and I shall say this for the third time. Neither do I have memberships on other forums nor read material from there. I also do not read the BBC, Guardian etc. The BBC is part of The State. It's role is to be the political mouthpiece for the government. To do otherwise is not how a special relationship works.

So how do I increase my knowledge? I watch documentaries. I speak, read and write in 6 languages so it helps cos more often than not, the English media will not pick up on news that the foreign media does. Case in point? The 1049 (reported) cases of sexual abuse, molest or rape committed by migrants in Cologne on New Year's Day this year.

I am original so accept it.

No darling, he was a metals trader. https://next.ft.com/content/02cad03a-844f-11e4-bae9-00144feabdc0http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nigel-farage/11509573/Nigel-Farage-A-plane-crash-cancer-and-the-leader-of-the-Ukip-party.htmlhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32612295http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2016/06/reckoning-radical-what-next-nigel-farageDon't you worry. I've already emailed Oxford, Cambridge and the London unis + provided them with screenshots. I hope that by my action, from this application cycle onwards, university places can be given to deserving British students who will pay up later on upon graduation and not disappear. The reason why some of these EU citizens have the audacity to speak and behave in the way they did was because the UK government gave them a free pass. Those days are numbered. Over the course of the past few months, I have chatted with several people on this forum who were from all over EU and elsewhere. They have come into UK with their parents/guardian, enrolled in sixthform, want to get into uni, take up loans, have no intention of paying back and then either returning back to their home country or venturing to the richer countries in Asia. With Brexit and good people in charge, those days are numbered.If you knew, you would be shell-shocked.

I was actually referring to how you've mentioned it all again and again. Do you memorise it or do you write it as it goes?

And there's no need to get sarcastic with me. I was asking a genuine question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending