Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should The EU Have Been Discussed More Thoroughly In UK Education? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should The EU Have Been Discussed More Thoroughly In UK Education?
    Yes
    57.14%
    No
    42.86%

ReputationRep:
    In my considerable few years on TSR, I have hardly ever posted in the politics forum, but I just had to state my opinion on the British education system in relation to the events of last night.

I'm a Physics student at Imperial College, and I am proud to say that I voted remain. I work with some of the most intelligent people I've ever met, including a considerable number who came from other EU member states. I voted not just for me and my future children, but for people like them who deserve to come to Britain to study at world-class institutions, to achieve what they deserve for their efforts. Now people like them will no doubt be denied this kind of opportunity, which disgusts me deeply.

There's a lot of things that have happened in the last 24 hours that have been absolutely sickening and game-changing, but one thing that really stands out for me is the proportion of Brexit voters who have since frantically only just learned what the EU is and what it has done for us, and are now regretting their choices.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0d25711498bb5

For this, I blame the education system. From the chart above, you can quite clearly see that those who did not take higher level degrees were more likely to vote leave.
    There's a considerable number of people in this country who did not continue their education beyond GCSE. Let's think for a moment what we learn before GCSE and how it would influence people's understanding of the EU.
    Before I finished my GCSEs, the EU was only mentioned explicitly in class in GCSE Economics. Economics is an optional course, which is not commonly taken, and fact is, a fair proportion of my class were not familiar with the concept of the EU before it was discussed.
    What this means is, there were, and still are, too many young people in the UK who are under-informed about the importance of the EU, and the education system is not sufficient to teach them these crucial facts. Sure, there are links to the EU in some topics like History and Geography which are core to GCSE, but the truth is, this is barely emphasised by the syllabuses.

But I find it to be no surprise that this is the case, because who was in charge of education when I took my GCSEs? MICHAEL. GOVE. An avid and quite punchable Brexit campaigner, who would do anything to avoid talking about the economic and social benefits of the EU, particularly to the next generation.
    Because of systems like this, the lesser educated of us are being taught near to nothing about the EU. The chart really shows what a disgraceful effect the lack of EU coverage in schools has had on the referendum. And Gove knew very well that the prospect of leaving the EU was coming by the time he was in control of our education, so all he had to do to get what he wanted was to cut the truth from the young generations, so he could gain Brexit voters.

If we had covered the subject of the EU in education before the end of GCSEs, I believe we may have had a balance-tipping effect on the referendum. Especially since more young people would know what they absolutely needed to know about the consequences of their vote.

So, Should The EU Have Been Discussed More Thoroughly In UK Education? My answer is yes. What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Politics should always be discussed in education.

Please sign my petition for mandatory teaching of politics in high schools.
    I believe that our future generation and this one, do not know enough about politics to make proper informed decisions. The nation is divided and the blame isn't on politics, it is on calling people racist, uneducated which is even more driven by the media. What if everyone was educated, people could make decent, informed decisions uninfluenced by the media.

If you agree please sign my petition.

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johns...n-high-schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiemariefryer)
    Politics should always be discussed in education.

Please sign my petition for mandatory teaching of politics in high schools.
    I believe that our future generation and this one, do not know enough about politics to make proper informed decisions. The nation is divided and the blame isn't on politics, it is on calling people racist, uneducated which is even more driven by the media. What if everyone was educated, people could make decent, informed decisions uninfluenced by the media.

If you agree please sign my petition.

https://www.change.org/p/boris-johns...edium=copylink
    Link ain't workin'.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.change.org/p/boris-johns...n-high-schools

ReputationRep:
    No.

I'm sick to death of establishment propaganda, it's not education or critical thinking, we are taught meming.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.