Should we demand second EU referendum, with such close figures? Watch

Poll: Should we have a second EU referendum?
Yes we need another referendum (25)
51.02%
No I'm happy with the 4% Brexit victory (24)
48.98%
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The Leave vote was only 4% ahead of remain. A lot of reman people are angry that such a massive change has occurred on such a small victory.

Scotland voted to stay with Britain in 2014. Now they want another referendum for independence. If Scotland can get another referendum then we should get another one on the EU.

A petition is demanding that with less than 60% another referendum should be called.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

I think when the economy suffers and huge cuts are made to the NHS, welfare and public services many Brexit voters will regret voting to leave.

Also consider that a lot of Brexiters in traditional working class labour areas like the North East will be the first ones to suffer when public services are cut, EU funding for training and helping jobless people is cut and benefits are cut.
MagicNMedicine
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OK but as long as remain don't win by 60 per cent or more we leave.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Another Scottish referendum is based on significant change from when the previous one was held. For many Scots leaving the EU is such a change, hence the call for a fresh Scottish referendum as outlined in the SNP manifesto during the Scottish elections.

I'd love to shoot out a second EU referendum to see what happens, but there's just not the justification for it.
cranbrook_aspie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nope. Leave won fair and square.
tripleseven
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is ridiculous. Whichever way you voted, the people of this country voted as a whole such that a majority wanted to leave the EU. That's the fact and quite frankly, people need to deal with it now, because this is what the people have brought upon themselves whether you agree or not. The people of leave can have their victory dance whilst the remain campaign mourn today, but either way, tomorrow is a new day and we need to make this work the best we can.
bolly_mad
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah. Just keep having referendums until remain wins. Then say the people have spoken so no more referendums.
DetectivePeralta
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. The people have made their final decision.
TimGB
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know this has been said before, but we can't just have another referendum just because it was close. The public voted for Leave and so we will leave. I think we should wait at least 10 years or so before we have another referendum, so we've all experienced life outside the EU as the majority wanted, and then only have another one if it gets a lot of support from the public.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No. Scotland get another referendum because there's a clause that allowed it under a huge change in circumstances, the main reason they didn't become independent was because of the fear of losing their EU membership which meant they'd lose the pound and wouldn't be able to adopt the Euro, with the EU now in disarray they'll surely accept Scottish membership and give them the Euro, it's a great chance for the Scottish. I would argue a case for them staying in the UK but it's quite clear they don't want it, expect a referendum to win 70-30 to independence. And I bet people thought brexit would somehow restore the British empire but guess what… London doesn't even want to be ruled by Westminster, the midlands don't, Scotland doesn't, the north doesn't… it's a crazy time and we have no real leaders out there, I see a rise in desire for anarchism, but more realistically a potential return to extreme left wing polices after the next conservative government.

Everyone knew it would be close, we knew it since day one it's not even up for discussion. We must accept the result and move forward, the last thing we need is more campaigning that will result in violence and terrorism because a 2nd referendum will surely do so. It's time to look forward because who we chose as our next PM, who we allow to govern us next will determine the future of this country. Relations can still be tight between us and the EU, we can accept their immigration quota but under a system we approve, what we don't want is to get a bad deal that will probably make us pay double the £350m per week just to maintain and comply with the Free Trade Deal, money which we won't see again rather than the money going into a pot that will come back in the form of investment and subsides.

Now is not the time for divisions and revolts. Work with the brexiters to influence our new relationship with the EU, don't let them dominate talks and negotiations because that will be the biggest disaster.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by tripleseven)
This is ridiculous. Whichever way you voted, the people of this country voted as a whole such that a majority wanted to leave the EU. That's the fact and quite frankly, people need to deal with it now, because this is what the people have brought upon themselves whether you agree or not. The people of leave can have their victory dance whilst the remain campaign mourn today, but either way, tomorrow is a new day and we need to make this work the best we can.
If you talk about the country as a whole, only a plurality of people voted to leave. But you're right, it won and the remain side should now seek to influence future relations rather than waste time trying to restore old ones. Any movements calling for a new referendum or refusing to move forward will lead to terrorism undoubtedly, this country hasn't seen hope for a long time and to be frank no potential future candidates offer us that hope, the only hope they'll offer is that we can hold tight
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by offhegoes)
Another Scottish referendum is based on significant change from when the previous one was held. For many Scots leaving the EU is such a change, hence the call for a fresh Scottish referendum as outlined in the SNP manifesto during the Scottish elections.

I'd love to shoot out a second EU referendum to see what happens, but there's just not the justification for it.
We entered this EU referendum with a recovering economy, it wasn't great but things were getting better since 2008s economic disaster. Austerity cuts had slowed down. We also entered as a United Kingdom with Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Now we may experience significant change with a huge recession, a harsh austerity budget, the break up of the UK.

That's surely enough of a significant change for us to reconsider whether we are actually better off in the EU!
AperfectBalance
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
We won, democratically. and requesting a new referendum would be a big fu to democracy.
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It's ****, because a lot of leave voters refuse to see the bigger picture so voted on poor terms, but democracy is democracy and we're stuck with this **** now...
physicsphysics91
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As I've said previously, you clearly dont want to live under a democracy, maybe move to somewhere less democratic such as Syria.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can demand a yellow Ferrari and a unicorn with a golden saddle for all the good it will do you. You won't be getting that either. You know how referendums work. Get over it.
Shapez
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
We entered this EU referendum with a recovering economy, it wasn't great but things were getting better since 2008s economic disaster. Austerity cuts had slowed down. We also entered as a United Kingdom with Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Now we may experience significant change with a huge recession, a harsh austerity budget, the break up of the UK.

That's surely enough of a significant change for us to reconsider whether we are actually better off in the EU!
STFU. Even if all of britain doesnt like it whats done is done, doesnt matter what you or I think. Think about it, will they really allow another referendum after Cameron declared his resignation.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OP, Laborur won the 05 general election by 3%... should we have held a second election?
MildredMalone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by physicsphysics91)
As I've said previously, you clearly dont want to live under a democracy, maybe move to somewhere less democratic such as Syria.
Yup, maybe we should ask that one Syrian refugee in the Jungle about what an awful place like Syria is to live in.
physicsphysics91
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MildredMalone)
Yup, maybe we should ask that one Syrian refugee in the Jungle about what an awful place like Syria is to live in.
Wonder what would happen if she went there alone.
So Instinct
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Lefty authoritarians back at it again with the 'democracy when it suits me'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads