Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The weekend that I need to do my practice Silver DofE is the time I'm going on a Work experience weekend. I am the only one out of 30 students thats not sure if I can make it. Is it mandatory that I go to the practicebefore I go to the real thing?

Has anybody been in this situation before and if so, how was it resolved?

Ps I have completed the whole of my Physical and Skills awards. And coming to the near end of my Volunteer award.

I hope all of that wasn't for nothing
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by hxylxy)
    The weekend that I need to do my practice Silver DofE is the time I'm going on a Work experience weekend. I am the only one out of 30 students thats not sure if I can make it. Is it mandatory that I go to the practicebefore I go to the real thing?

Ps I have completed the whole of my Physical and Skills awards. And coming to the near end of my Volunteer award.

It is a requirement that you must complete at least one practice expedition, for this reason most groups have two or three practice expeditions. If there are no other options for practices then you will need to speak with your DofE leader, and consider rescheduling your work experience if possible. If that isn't possible then you would need to weigh up whether DofE is more important than your work experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hxylxy)

You need to do a practice expedition before you can do a qualifying expedition - it is a formal requirement. It is also worth mentioning that you should have had expedition training (either a "training" weekend and/or evening sessions) signed off in your book or eDOE prior to your practice expedition. An assessor can refuse to allow you to undertake a qualifying or practice expedition (on safety grounds) if you haven't had sufficient expedition training.

You can treat your friends' qualifying expedition as your practice but you will have to arrange a further qualifying expedition with another group.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.