The Student Room Group

So why did Leave win?

Would like to get some ideas on what others thought of why leave won?

I think it was a mixture of:
- Higher Turnout in Leave Areas,
- Lower Turnout among younger people,
- Arrogance and Complacency in Remain Camp throughout entire debate,
- Overuse of Insults for anyone considering Leave,
- Anti-Establishment vote,
- Uninformed voters,
- Belief Leave could never win.

Any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
As much as I am for remain could you just STFU? Whats done is done whats the point mourning about it, nothing is going to change no matter what you say dont you get that? Cameron himself said we are not going to have another referendum so i dont know whats your goal here.
Corbyn did a terrible job campaigning for it too.
Brexiters accusing the Remain camp of misinformation while conveniently forgetting their own misinformation.

As for the "belief that Leave could never win", I totally agree; I've heard so many people say "We won't leave, the British people don't like change", it's unreal. And yet...
Reply 4
Wonky bananas.
Reply 5
Quite simply it's Merkel's fault

Had the vote been two years back before the migrant crisis it would have probably been about 60% stay (me included), but mama Merkel put a big "Refugees welcome!" sign up last year and the entire migrant crisis deepened, millions of economic migrants made the dangerous trip, more migrants drowned, terrorism increased and the British public was increasingly pushed into agreeing with Farage's "open door" argument.

Then there was the backtracking (tightening of German/Swedish borders) and billion euro deal with Turkey to handle the immigrants along with the further prepping of Turkey for EU integration. Again playing into the hands of leave by the time the facts were clear for the election.
Reply 6
The best article I've yet seen about why this happened is in today's Guardian. "If you've got money you vote in,if you havnt got money you vote out"

Pretty much nails it.The article not the quote.
(edited 7 years ago)
I voted OUT on a single issue which mattered to me most
You can guess what this is
Original post by ODES_PDES
I voted OUT on a single issue which mattered to me most
You can guess what this is

I really hope it wasn't muslim immigration.

There are so many reasons that could be argued for leave but this is the one that everyone seems to be spouting
Original post by Zargabaath

There are so many reasons that could be argued for leave but this is the one that everyone seems to be spouting

It was immigration, plain and simple.
Because democracy trumped the authoritarians. Its simple really.
Original post by ODES_PDES
It was immigration, plain and simple.

Who's immigration?

Just because 'everyone' seems to sprout this it doesn't discredit it.
There are also a lot of legitimate grievances people can have with immigration other than being racist islamaphobic xenophobes
People believing that leaving the EU will change immigration for the better.

FYI - It won't. At all. If anything our society will become more multicultural.
Who's immigration?

Any immigration.
In my opinion we need a system like Australia, or even better New Zealand

Immigration undeniably would have been the biggest reason for the majority of voters (of which muslim immigration would be the biggest deterrent).
Good triumphs over evil in the end.
Original post by DontVoteLabour
Just because 'everyone' seems to sprout this it doesn't discredit it.
There are also a lot of legitimate grievances people can have with immigration other than being racist islamaphobic xenophobes

But how is Muslim immigration the fault of the EU? Most Muslims either come from Pakistan, India, the Middle East or parts of Africa.
On top of that, they have an extremely high birthrate meaning many are born here. Why is that the fault of the EU?

It's not that everyone's saying it that's the issue, it's that it's incorrect :s-smilie:
I think it was a massive mistake for the government to pump out one sided propaganda, it certainly made me do my own research and end up voting leave
But how is Muslim immigration the fault of the EU? Most Muslims either come from Pakistan, India, the Middle East or parts of Africa.
On top of that, they have an extremely high birthrate meaning many are born here. Why is that the fault of the EU?

It's not that everyone's saying it that's the issue, it's that it's incorrect :s-smilie:

Leaving the EU will allow us to implement our own immigration policy .eg Australia point based system

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending