The Student Room Group

How to meet new people (London)?

I've been feeling a bit bored and lonely this summer since all my friends are either working or away on holiday so I can't ask them to hang out (quite frankly I think I've outgrown them since I've realised we dont have many common interest). I'm open to sports or even volunteering related stuff.

Any good suggestions on ways to meet new people in their 20s who are like minded/share interests and broaden my social circle (and even potential love interests, cringe writing that down)? Anyone have experience of this?

Scroll to see replies

You may not be able to read this :biggrin: I thought the group gym workout was the best way to find new people because clearly you spend a lot of time there
Reply 2
Just join different sports clubs; tennis, football etc...or join a gym you could meet some people there
Reply 3
bump

any ideas?
Reply 4
Original post by tootles44
bump

any ideas?

People on their way to Glastonbury festival were bored too! They started playing cricket.

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Meet up.

It's an app, hundreds of social groups with all kinds of different themes and excuses purely designed for like-minded people to meet up and make friends.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Meet up.

It's an app, hundreds of social groups with all kinds of different themes and excuses purely designed for like-minded people to meet up and make friends.

Sounds good, have you tried it? I dont want it to be all old men on the prowl messaging girls though like I've read about :lol:

Also do you think it would be weird to go to paid events by myself like a small gig or a comedy show?
Reply 7
Sounds good, have you tried it? I dont want it to be all old men on the prowl messaging girls though like I've read about :lol:

Also do you think it would be weird to go to paid events by myself like a small gig or a comedy show?

I have. And there are plenty of groups that are girls only. You also don't have to use the messaging on there at all - it's all about the real events. There are plenty of groups set up for singletons, plenty more are for people just looking to make friends or join up with people who have similar interests.

Costs nothing to have a look.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
I have. And there are plenty of groups that are girls only. You also don't have to use the messaging on there at all - it's all about the real events. There are plenty of groups set up for singletons, plenty more are for people just looking to make friends or join up with people who have similar interests.

Costs nothing to have a look.

cool I will do :smile: out of curiosity, which meetups did you attend? did you make many friends/meet like minded people?
Reply 9
cool I will do :smile: out of curiosity, which meetups did you attend? did you make many friends/meet like minded people?

I'm not in London, so the groups would be different. I went for social drinking / pub meet ups mostly. And yes.
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
I'm not in London, so the groups would be different. I went for social drinking / pub meet ups mostly. And yes.

Ah okay, what about the age and gender demographics?
Ah okay, what about the age and gender demographics?

Download the app and find out for yourself! It'll take 30 seconds...
I've been feeling a bit bored and lonely this summer since all my friends are either working or away on holiday so I can't ask them to hang out (quite frankly I think I've outgrown them since I've realised we dont have many common interest). I'm open to sports or even volunteering related stuff.

Any good suggestions on ways to meet new people in their 20s who are like minded/share interests and broaden my social circle (and even potential love interests, cringe writing that down)? Anyone have experience of this?

Vlnspired is a good website to find volunteering opportunities.
Reply 13
Original post by niv1234
Vlnspired is a good website to find volunteering opportunities.

thanks! have you tried it?
thanks! have you tried it?

I made an account and seached for stuff. There were good things there but I couldn't do most of them as it is 15-25 but most have specific age ranges. I might look again this year.
Reply 15
Original post by niv1234
I made an account and seached for stuff. There were good things there but I couldn't do most of them as it is 15-25 but most have specific age ranges. I might look again this year.

are you younger than 15?
are you younger than 15?

No I'm 16. I made the account last year when I was 15. But most of the opportunites have an age range somewhere within 15 and 25 like 18-23 or something for some reason. So although I was old enough to have an account I wasn't old enough to participate in many of the things that were close to where I live.

Meet someone from TSR, it's a good idea honest
Reply 18
Original post by physicsphysics91
Meet someone from TSR, it's a good idea honest

TSR 'VoteLeave meet up' :lol:

How would you do that tho, it's a bit random isn't it, like 'hey TSRians who wants to randomly meet up with other TSRians?' :lol: I mean id be up for it if there were a good number of people willing!

what if no one turns up :K:
TSR 'VoteLeave meet up' :lol:

How would you do that tho, it's a bit random isn't it, like 'hey TSRians who wants to randomly meet up with other TSRians?' :lol: I mean id be up for it if there were a good number of people willing!

what if no one turns up :K:

You think people from TSR have never met up?

There have been at least 3 TSR weddings...

Quick Reply