Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This may be a stupid question but if you smoke but not that much- say 10 a week at the most, what is the chance of dying of a smoking related illness- is it that much more than people who don't smoke at all. I always feel really guilty if i have just one cigarette but then i must passive smoke a lot anyway in pubs and clubs so is smoking occassionally really going to make that much difference?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why people still smoke.

It would limit the chances of smoking related illness, but you would still be at risk of them, just stop smoking - it's too expensive and has no benefits.

ReputationRep:
    Cigarettes are coffin nails.

ReputationRep:
    I can't comment on whether smoking has cancerous effects if you're a mild smoker.. but I used to smoke the same amount, and this went up to 20 a week, ten a day, 15 a day.. Something I only did at hospital to be rebellious and bond with my friends became a habit that outlasted the people I met there! My smoking came to a swift end when we found out that my dad has cancer of the oesophagus.. I've quit now, and I haven't looked back! Now I find smoking as gross as anyone else, and am pretty confident that I'll never smoke again.

My advice to you would be to quit while you're not smoking that much. It may seem an annoying thought, but believe me, it's worth it! You sound a bit worried.. this will just get worse and worse til you stub them out!

ReputationRep:
    i smoke cigars here and there, they taste really good, and thats is the only thing I smoke. Captain Blacks are my favorite.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking is my pet hate, I hate the evil things, I can't eat in a smoky pub, I can go to night clubs but the smoke is the worst thing about them.

My biggest pet hate is people smoking on buses (usualy scallies).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    My biggest pet hate is people smoking on buses (usualy scallies).
    Do they not ban smoking on buses up there then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Do they not ban smoking on buses up there then?
    Its ilegal accross the UK, thats upstairs and downstairs, however scallies some times smoke upstairs and the bus drivers turn a blind eye in fear of them.

Its ilegal accross the UK, thats upstairs and downstairs, however scallies some times smoke upstairs and the bus drivers turn a blind eye in fear of them.
    If scallies are what i think they are then there's nothing to be scared of, they're suprisingly easy to scare, usually..

Smoking isn't *that* bad is it, i've never smoked, and don't exactly like it but i don't hate being in a room with smoke in, i can bear it quite easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    If scallies are what i think they are then there's nothing to be scared of, they're suprisingly easy to scare, usually..

Smoking isn't *that* bad is it, i've never smoked, and don't exactly like it but i don't hate being in a room with smoke in, i can bear it quite easily.
    I hate it, I guess its the smell, an unbathed semi tramp got on the bus today, the whole bus had a horrible smell of urine because of him so I had to get off.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh. In Birmingham (or here for that matter), I've always seen bus drivers just refuse to move the bus if people smoke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Ohh. In Birmingham (or here for that matter), I've always seen bus drivers just refuse to move the bus if people smoke.
    Stagecoach Manchester should hire Brummy drivers then. I have nearly written to GMPTE (Greater Manchester Public Transport Executive) to complain about it loads of times but never get round to it.

I hate it, I guess its the smell, an unbathed semi tramp got on the bus today, the whole bus had a horrible smell of urine because of him so I had to get off.
    Can't be as bad as changing rooms at an all boys school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitewitch)
    This may be a stupid question but if you smoke but not that much- say 10 a week at the most, what is the chance of dying of a smoking related illness- is it that much more than people who don't smoke at all. I always feel really guilty if i have just one cigarette but then i must passive smoke a lot anyway in pubs and clubs so is smoking occassionally really going to make that much difference?
    It can make enough of a difference, but they do say that you have to smoke for at least a couple of months before the effects really do begin to set in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitewitch)
    if your only smoking 10 a week, ur obviously not addicted yet, so quit NOW, while you can itll get much harder, trust me and ull suffer from it very soon!

Hell i cant even run at 9 Km/h for 10 minutes without felling my lungs are gonna come out of my Ass!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Depends on the route, I guess.

On the 11 Outercircle (fairly notorious for being a cesspit in transit), people regularly smoke cigarettes upstairs - I've never seen a bus driver stop the bus for this. More hardened scallies will walk on to the bus smoking a fag, and often the driver won't bat an eyelid.

What I really hate is when you walk onto a bus and the thing absolutely reeks of ganja - loads of drivers choose to ignore this. It's not just as though the top deck is 'penged out' by the stench of it, the whole bus is!

The smell of KFC and fish & chips is just as bad if you ask me though.

ReputationRep:
    It takes a year to become clinically addicted to nicotine, so quit while you're ahead..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    It takes a year to become clinically addicted to nicotine, so quit while you're ahead..

Only a year? this is bad news!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris_)
    Its more like 2/3 years, and obviously it varies

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.