Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rights that we lose when we turn 18? Rights that we gain when we turn 18? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I understand that in the UK, we lose some privileges when we turn 18 and have to start paying for them. Conversely, we also gain some rights and privileges. I was wondering whether someone could list them all, on both sides? I have included some that I have thought of below. Thank you!

Privileges we lose
    1. Free dental treatment
    2. Free optical prescriptions and check ups
    3. Free prescriptions on drugs

Privileges we gain
    1. Option to VOTE
    2. Option to hold credit cards
    3. Option to open a PayPal account
    4. Option to buy securities (stocks, bonds, etc.) and gold and housing (if you can afford it! )
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by londoncricket)
    Hi all,

I understand that in the UK, we lose some privileges when we turn 18 and have to start paying for them. Conversely, we also gain some rights and privileges. I was wondering whether someone could list them all, on both sides? I have included some that I have thought of below. Thank you!

Privileges we lose
    1. Free dental treatment
    2. Free optical prescriptions and check ups
    3. Free prescriptions on drugs
    Privileges we gain
    1. Option to VOTE
    2. Option to hold credit cards
    3. Option to open a PayPal account
    4. Option to buy securities (stocks, bonds, etc.) and gold and housing (if you can afford it! )
    Just to correct you, for 1 and 2 in losses (not sure about number 3) you can still get those for free if you are under 19 and in full time education when your treatment starts.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx?CategoryID=74

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Just to correct you, for 1 and 2 in losses (not sure about number 3) you can still get those for free if you are under 19 and in full time education when your treatment starts.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1786.aspx?CategoryID=74
    Thank you for pointing this out to me! I didn't know this.

ReputationRep:
    Also free dental checkups.

You can't buy gold or a house if you're under 18? Buying a lot of electronic equipment must be illegal due to the gold content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Also free dental checkups.

You can't buy gold or a house if you're under 18? Buying a lot of electronic equipment must be illegal due to the gold content.
    It's true for housing. I made a mistake by writing old: I knew that you could own it at any age.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.