Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My parents have always been overcontrolling. I thought they'd change when I'm 18, but they've just grown worse. They even log in to my email and facebook to make sure they know exactly what im doing. I get hit if i don't listen to their orders, and i can't answer anything back to them other than the simple 'yes'. They say they'll chuck me out if I do anything other than studying. I'm still doing my A levels and I want to be a doctor, so i still need the roof over my head. What shall I do? Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ClariceE)
    My parents have always been overcontrolling. I thought they'd change when I'm 18, but they've just grown worse. They even log in to my email and facebook to make sure they know exactly what im doing. I get hit if i don't listen to their orders, and i can't answer anything back to them other than the simple 'yes'. They say they'll chuck me out if I do anything other than studying. I'm still doing my A levels and I want to be a doctor, so i still need the roof over my head. What shall I do? Thanks.
    Moved this back to our 'friends family and work' forum for you

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any alternative places to go?
    If so I advice you immediately GTFO of that situation, it will actually hinder your grades.

ReputationRep:
    You get hit by your parents at the age of 18?

ReputationRep:
    Change your passwords to something only you know. If they say anything you can tell them that you need privacy.

Other than that keep studying and working hard to get the grades you need so you can move out to a university of your choice.

ReputationRep:
    make another Facebook account maybe that you use to actually say what the hell you like ...

ReputationRep:
    If it like that i think you should contact your school for a councillor to help you out or a social worker to see if they can get you some accommodation if you think you cant cope. If you think you can stick it out until uni you could make a secrete FB account etc. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If you can talk to them and tell them like I am 18, I need to be independent and to develop my personality. Tell them that their attitude is going to affect your performance in A-levels and you need the high grades for the firmed university. Tell them that I will be dedicating a lot of time for studying to get the needed grades, however, you won't be able to be studying all day long,your brain need some rest for efficient studying!
    I suggest you work if you can and gather some money to be able to live on your own later in life

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.