hannahly
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all,
I have just finished my GCSEs and am hoping to continue A Levels next year, then go to uni and take a degree in Languages (French and German) and go on to become a Modern Language Teacher. I have a few questions, however.
Obviously, I am doing French and German for A level, but for the other two subjects I'm having a bit of a crisis! I am considering doing two from Maths, Economics, Physics or Classical Civilisation, but I'm not sure which would benefit me most in the future when I am teaching. Maths would be a backup, and CC and Economics are both very essay based so would be good for communication amd research skills. It would be great if I could get some advice from others though?
Another question is University. Does anyone know about any Unis that are really good/really stand out in the languages department? I haven't decided where to go yet, and looking for some pointers. I'm not particular, anywhere in the UK basically.
A final query is Brexit. Now we have voted to leave, what happens to my Placement Year abroad in France and Germany? Will there be restrictions as by then we will definitely have left!
It would be great to get some answers from you all!
Thanks
myrtille
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hannahly)
Hi all,
I have just finished my GCSEs and am hoping to continue A Levels next year, then go to uni and take a degree in Languages (French and German) and go on to become a Modern Language Teacher. I have a few questions, however.
Obviously, I am doing French and German for A level, but for the other two subjects I'm having a bit of a crisis! I am considering doing two from Maths, Economics, Physics or Classical Civilisation, but I'm not sure which would benefit me most in the future when I am teaching. Maths would be a backup, and CC and Economics are both very essay based so would be good for communication amd research skills. It would be great if I could get some advice from others though?
Another question is University. Does anyone know about any Unis that are really good/really stand out in the languages department? I haven't decided where to go yet, and looking for some pointers. I'm not particular, anywhere in the UK basically.
A final query is Brexit. Now we have voted to leave, what happens to my Placement Year abroad in France and Germany? Will there be restrictions as by then we will definitely have left!
It would be great to get some answers from you all!
Thanks
Hi,

I have been teaching French and Spanish for three years, so hopefully I can be of use here.

In terms of your third A-Level, absolutely any of those would be fine so I would say to go for whatever interests you most. Maths or Physics could give you an edge in the jobs market as you'll have a mixed Arts/Sciences skill set, but they are also known to be a massive step up from GCSE to A-Level. French and German are both challenging subjects and well-regarded so if you wanted to take a "softer" option then it wouldn't be frowned on by universities. My A-Levels were French, History, English Literature and Sociology, and I did AS level German. If your college offers ab initio Spanish GCSE (mine did) that could be worthwhile.

Choosing a university is totally personal and is about where you fit in and feel at home - I don't think anyone on here can really settle that for you. I went to Warwick and loved it, but I'm not going to try and convince you to go there. I based my decision on a mixture of league tables, entry requirements and how I felt about it when I visited. I liked the looks of Leeds too, which was my second choice.

Regarding the year abroad, it's really impossible to say at this point. We don't know yet what deal will be reached as part of the plan to leave the EU. The government haven't formally started the process yet and almost anything could happen. We could end up with a Norway style deal in which case relatively little would change. Or we could end up with something more restrictive but I can't imagine the year abroad would become impossible, maybe just not as well funded (plus more bureaucracy and needing to pay for healthcare etc.) I imagine universities in France and Germany will still want opportunities for their students to study in England so there will have to be some arrangements made between them. Don't get me wrong, I think Brexit is an absolute disaster and am incredibly angry and upset by it. But it doesn't mean an automatic end to all co-operation with the rest of Europe.

Focus on your A-levels, campaign for whatever seems the least bad option out of the EU, and wait and see.

Bonne chance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads