Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ucl and soton comparable?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    anyone out there.. can u plzz tell me how good electronics dept. is in UCL compared to the same in Soton for MSc?? well i am interested in both places... but see sotons RAE's and teaching scores are good but i guess UCL is more famous and well known internationally...right ?? so do tell me which one is better.... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divu)
    anyone out there.. can u plzz tell me how good electronics dept. is in UCL compared to the same in Soton for MSc?? well i am interested in both places... but see sotons RAE's and teaching scores are good but i guess UCL is more famous and well known internationally...right ?? so do tell me which one is better.... :confused:
    I know Soton is very well know for electronics. I thought more so than UCL. Have you been to both places? Did you get a feel for one of them?

ReputationRep:
    mm i am an international student and so obviously i didnt visit any of the 2... thats is why it makes the decision even more tough

ReputationRep:
    soton?

nothing really compares with UCL - it's amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I would guess Soton is slightly better for electronics like i said, but only in terms of league tables. Wheres PQ when you need her? Also another factor to consider is whether or not you want/can afford to study in London.

ReputationRep:
    yup i can afford studying in london... thanks to my uncle.. and yes where is Pencil Queen ?? anyways shes gonna kill me when she comes... i have asked her the same kind of question a thousand times i guess... about Bristol. Imperial, Edinburgh, Soton and now UCL.... she told me Bristol was bad ... and finally i was for Soton but now UCL has started it all over again... guess this confusion is not gonna leave me for my entire life :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divu)
    yup i can afford studying in london... thanks to my uncle.. and yes where is Pencil Queen ?? anyways shes gonna kill me when she comes... i have asked her the same kind of question a thousand times i guess... about Bristol. Imperial, Edinburgh, Soton and now UCL.... she told me Bristol was bad ... and finally i was for Soton but now UCL has started it all over again... guess this confusion is not gonna leave me for my entire life :mad:
    I'm sure it won't last your whole life hun . Good luck wherever you go. They are both very good universities anyway.

ReputationRep:
    any more suggestions???

ReputationRep:
    If you are sure that you want to go into Electronics as a career, and if Soton has an excellent reputation for that subject (I don't know) then perhaps you should choose them over UCL. However, if you are not sure where you want to work in the future (whether in a different field or abroad), then UCL has the greater general and worldwide reputation that would stand you in good stead. It really all depends on how you want the rest of your life to turn out!

ReputationRep:
    the downside to UCL i reckon is living in London. London great and exciting as it is, is however very very expensive especcially if your living on a student loan. Southampton is very good university and the city is great, great nightlife not far from Bournemouth, great shopping centres, lots of pubs and clubs etc. the uni is also lovely, it is a really nice campus.

ReputationRep:
    From what i've heard from my electronics teachers and ppl in my class, Soton is definitely the place to go for electronic engineering.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for that but i still need some more response to decide

In my opinion Southampton's department is the single best in the country (including Cam and Cardiff). The facilities are great, the people are friendly and the courses on offer in Electronics are quite simply world class. Everyone that I know that should have an insight on the various industries electronics is involved in has confirmed that S'ton is incedibly highly thought of at undergrd level and I'm certain that the same would apply for postgrad. I have always thought of physical sciences at UCL as something there simply to supplement other courses. I sure that thier courses are excellent and that the department is probably first class but personally I would pick S'ton every time. You can't really go wrong with either to be honest so try and pick the course that appeals to you the most.

ReputationRep:
    ok let me tell u what are the exact courses i have opted for... MSc Radio Frequency and communications in soton and MSc Spacecraft and satellite technology in ucl... which one do u think has better job prospects... cos thats what i am ultimately bothered about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divu)
    ok let me tell u what are the exact courses i have opted for... MSc Radio Frequency and communications in soton and MSc Spacecraft and satellite technology in ucl... which one do u think has better job prospects... cos thats what i am ultimately bothered about
    hmmm not sure about the exact courses. i always thought UCL was quite good for these sorts of things?

dont know much about southampton. went to UCL. it really is a world class university and judging from the responses i have had from potential employees from america, russia, and elswhere it is very well known and highly regarded. in this respect southampton cannot compare. however, in terms of the course you may do, southampton may be more highly regarded (for those in that particular field, but definitely not generally).

also someone mentioned living in london is expensive. well yeah it is a bit more expensive, but not hugely so. london is so diverse in everything that if you wanted to go cheap you can go cheap! the only difference is cheap doesnt always mean (in terms of nightlife anyway) tacky, cheesy or indie grunge.

if you have got the money though, great, you have more choice
    good luck with your choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    You can't really go wrong with either to be honest so try and pick the course that appeals to you the most.
    agreed, both are good universities, ucl is better in general but s'ton would appear to be better course wise. plus you have differences over the type of cities you want to live in etc. i guess its all down to priorities

ReputationRep:
    thanx for everything.....all of u helped me a lot and i have contacted some employers in the USA too.... all ends up in one line... soton is better cos ucl's course is too focussed and getting a job in spacecraft tech. is far more tough...... so thanx and bye!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ubermensch)
    BSc Philosophy, Logic, and Scientific Method
    wow id love to do that course! sounds right up my street. dont think id be very good at it though, philosophy a'level has slipped from my memory after three years of history.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.