Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if the career prospects for this type of engineering may be worse than other disciplines e.g civil or mechanical engineering.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Mackiemcmasher)
    Just wondering if the career prospects for this type of engineering may be worse than other disciplines e.g civil or mechanical engineering.
    Hi there,

The career prospects are definitely not any worse. What you'll want to focus on more is the career path you would like to take.

Electrical/electronic and mechanical will lead you down two very different routes. Electronic will focus a lot more on, you guessed it, circuits and systems. This can range from how electrical infrastructure is put in place to electrical systems on board vehicles to software engineering. The prospects will vary on the course content, I'd suggest reading up on the courses at different universities and you'll get a good idea of what you'll learn and where it could lead you.

Hope this helps,

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering

ReputationRep:
    My sister is doing it. Even though its not as widely known as much as electrical, she enjoys it. And the modules are the same across all engineering for the first 2yrs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glasgow Uni)
    Hi there,

The career prospects are definitely not any worse. What you'll want to focus on more is the career path you would like to take.

Electrical/electronic and mechanical will lead you down two very different routes. Electronic will focus a lot more on, you guessed it, circuits and systems. This can range from how electrical infrastructure is put in place to electrical systems on board vehicles to software engineering. The prospects will vary on the course content, I'd suggest reading up on the courses at different universities and you'll get a good idea of what you'll learn and where it could lead you.

Hope this helps,

Scott
    Undergraduate Rep
    School of Engineering
    It does, thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    Electronics actually has an excellent graduate career base. It's a rapidly developing market sector, what with it being the base for most technologies, so career prospects certainly aren't an issue for the subject. Gonna be studying it myself at So'ton next year (hopefully :lol:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    Electronics actually has an excellent graduate career base. It's a rapidly developing market sector, what with it being the base for most technologies, so career prospects certainly aren't an issue for the subject. Gonna be studying it myself at So'ton next year (hopefully :lol:)
    ok thank you, I guess electronics engineers will always be needed. I'm also looking at Southampton too! looks like a very good university, especially for electronics engineering.

ReputationRep:
    It's a great degree!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glib)
    It's a great degree!
    Have you started/finished a degree in EE yet? If so what were some of the things you enjoyed over other types of engineering?

ReputationRep:
    Have you started/finished a degree in EE yet? If so what were some of the things you enjoyed over other types of engineering?
    I don't study EE myself. Any engineering degree is resectable and always in demand by employers.

This may be helpful
    https://nationalcareersservice.direc...sengineer.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Im studying electrical and electronic engineering at a Uel campus in greece,im at the 3rd year of my studies and im wondering about the graduate prospects of a graduate from a low rank university.I might complete the course with 1st class and im also wondering if a msc from portsmouth will improve my chances to the job market.Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hello @PeterPpp,

I'm in my Masters year studying Electronic Engineering at the University of Portsmouth (with a non British background myself) and I think I can help you with your question.

I've been studying at Portsmouth for 4 years now, and I've also been on a placement year, this delaying my studies by one year, so I've got the chance to see all my friends and colleagues finishing one year before me, and I can say that all of them have got into the job market straight after university, and obviously in relevant areas. And stats wise, Portsmouth students that finish any technological degree have an employability rate of 93% in the first 6 months after graduating, one of the highest in the country. Portsmouth might not be as prestigious as Cambridge or Oxford, but when it comes to hands on, practical engineering, is one of the most appreciated by industry and of the best places to be.

Portsmouth is an amazing place to study Electronic Engineering because its modern approach to teaching, its labs, and all the great equipment it has, making it a very good learning environment for a future engineer. All you learn in lectures also comes with a practical task to do - what we call Project Based Learning - so you get relevant hands on experience in every field you study: digital and analogue electronics, microwave electronics, signal processing etc.

All this projects that you work on will give practical skills to put on your CV, and that is exactly what the companies want to see, that you've actually worked on something, and built projects on your own. I've already secured a job for myself, and have been through all the interviewing process and I can say that the companies were very impressed with all the practical things I have done at university and my hands on experience in all the different fields I've studied, and this definitely gave me an edge over the other applicants.

Portsmouth as a city is an amazing place for a young engineer as well, because there are a lot of big engineering companies that are based within Portsmouth. Companies like: IBM, BAE systems, Airbus, Rolls Royce, all have sites in the Portsmouth city area, and they always try to get students from Portsmouth on their postgraduate programs.

So putting it in short terms: Yes, an MSC at Portsmouth in Electrical Engineering will open up a lot of opportunities for you, and if you are committed and willing to do your best in your MSC year, there will definitely be a lot of companies that will want you as their employee.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.