Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Landlord didn't use a deposit protecting scheme! Trying to charge for sofas? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My landlord told us your deposits would go in to a deposit protection scheme but had recently informed me he forgot to do that.
    The only thing that has been damaged is the two fake leather sofas are completely ruined. The leather coating has peeled off the seats and there is a hole in the seat of one of them. We haven't trashed them they are just very low quality sofas that have been heavily used by us for two years.
    He wants to take 150 each from out deposits so 300 in total.
    The thing is that he is selling the house including all the furniture. We know because we have been here while they viewed the house and said they would like to include the furniture. So any money he keeps from my deposit goes into his pocket not on a new sofa.
    Dose the fact he didn't put out deposits in a protection scheme make a difference?
    Dose the fact that he has sold the house make any difference?

Really need some advice!!! please anyone who has had a similar experience or who know the law works could u let me know if I have any way to get all my money back?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yurtlethe_turtle)
    My landlord told us your deposits would go in to a deposit protection scheme but had recently informed me he forgot to do that.
    The only thing that has been damaged is the two fake leather sofas are completely ruined. The leather coating has peeled off the seats and there is a hole in the seat of one of them. We haven't trashed them they are just very low quality sofas that have been heavily used by us for two years.
    He wants to take 150 each from out deposits so 300 in total.
    The thing is that he is selling the house including all the furniture. We know because we have been here while they viewed the house and said they would like to include the furniture. So any money he keeps from my deposit goes into his pocket not on a new sofa.
    Dose the fact he didn't put out deposits in a protection scheme make a difference?
    Dose the fact that he has sold the house make any difference?

Really need some advice!!! please anyone who has had a similar experience or who know the law works could u let me know if I have any way to get all my money back?
    Using the deposit protection scheme is required by law. If he hasn't used it then he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Link him to this: https://www.gov.uk/deposit-protectio...enants-deposit

Inform him that he must return your deposit immediately and in full or you will begin legal proceedings.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.