Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ever since I was 11 years old I've wanted to join the army , but now the time is getting close for me to leave secondary school . I have the decision of joining the army when I leave or go to college . Could any one suggests what's better to do .
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Kaykayv)
    Ever since I was 11 years old I've wanted to join the army , but now the time is getting close for me to leave secondary school . I have the decision of joining the army when I leave or go to college . Could any one suggests what's better to do .
    College will give you a couple of years to think about whether this is definitely what you want to do, and will also give you a qualification so that if you leave the army you're not just stuck with GCSE's. You need to keep your options as open as possible as you never know what will happen in the future. There are lots of options open to you, for example, if you were to get a degree you could start as an officer, going through an OTC programme which is one night a week plus paid training camps, which is a good way to ease yourself into that sort of lifestyle. You need to weigh up how much you want to get into the army asap with waiting a bit and getting in at a higher level.

ReputationRep:
    Get as many qualifications as possible before joining up. It will give you options when you leave and I think it will give you more options within the army as well. You should also take some extra time to work out whether or not you're sure. You have plenty of years to participate in the army, I wouldn't be in a rush to get started.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.