Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to start private dental treatment? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to get braces; I'm over 18 so would need to pay. I did have an arrangement to get braces free on the NHS but they messed things up as they kept giving me pre-determined appointments which I couldn't go to (exams, etc) and they only allowed appointments to be changed twice, otherwise you couldn't continue. So that failed.

Now I'm willing to pay to get braces. I only really need them on the top, and will need a tooth removed. I don't really know how to start it though- do I need to contact my dentist for them to refer me or can I try contacting some on my own?

Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Wiggly)
    I want to get braces; I'm over 18 so would need to pay. I did have an arrangement to get braces free on the NHS but they messed things up as they kept giving me pre-determined appointments which I couldn't go to (exams, etc) and they only allowed appointments to be changed twice, otherwise you couldn't continue. So that failed.

Now I'm willing to pay to get braces. I only really need them on the top, and will need a tooth removed. I don't really know how to start it though- do I need to contact my dentist for them to refer me or can I try contacting some on my own?

Has anyone got any experience of this sort of thing?
    I have not had experiences with braces or private dental care but you have two options as far as I know: Ask your dentist for a referal to a private dentist or find a private dentist near you and register.
    I would suggest you find the dental surgery you want it done at, go in and ask what would be best. It may be that to register and get treatment it would cost more and it may be that they will not accept an NHS referal so it's best to just ask before you waste effort (or money) on something unnecessary.

But I thought you could get braces on the NHS for a fee (probably less than private). I guess you've already looked into thath though. You could also try explaining the whole exam and appointment situation to see if they can sort it out and allow you to have it done how you first intended.

ReputationRep:
    Private dental care is about more than just giving you the treatment necessary to maintain your oral health, and is great if you are looking for more choice, and an enhanced service.Our private dental service offers comprehensive care, from experienced and advanced skilled dentists, with personalised care that is tailored to your individual needs.Teeth restoration treatments within private care offer a discreet range of dental solutions, including white fillings, crowns, bridges and dentures. The finished results are often near-invisible, so you can better retain the appearance of your natural smile.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.