Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There's a four year age gap between us and this, coupled with our opposite personalities and genders, seems to make for an explosive combination. I'm the studious, quieter one and he is the boisterous, sporty one. Lately he has become downright nasty, swearing at me, insulting me, rolling his eyes and even resorting to violence. He's only fourteen but already he's much bigger than me and I'm honestly a little intimidated. He's clearly my parent's favourite due to his personality and looks (he is the spitting image of my mother while I seem to take little from either side of the family.) and can do absolutely no wrong in their eyes.

Things jave gotten so bad that we cannot even be in the same room as each other. When I stand up for myself he resorts to anger and I get the blame because I'm supposed to be the mature one in the situation. To make matters worse we are going on a family holiday in two weeks time and I'm honestly more than a little worried about what will happen.

Is there anything I can do, short of ignoring him entirely, that will make things a little smoother until I move out for university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TinyPhasma)
    There's a four year age gap between us and this, coupled with our opposite personalities and genders, seems to make for an explosive combination. I'm the studious, quieter one and he is the boisterous, sporty one. Lately he has become downright nasty, swearing at me, insulting me, rolling his eyes and even resorting to violence. He's only fourteen but already he's much bigger than me and I'm honestly a little intimidated. He's clearly my parent's favourite due to his personality and looks (he is the spitting image of my mother while I seem to take little from either side of the family.) and can do absolutely no wrong in their eyes.

Things have gotten so bad that we cannot even be in the same room as each other. When I stand up for myself he resorts to anger and I get the blame because I'm supposed to be the mature one in the situation. To make matters worse we are going on a family holiday in two weeks time and I'm honestly more than a little worried about what will happen.

Is there anything I can do, short of ignoring him entirely, that will make things a little smoother until I move out for university?
    That doesn't sound like the best situation to be in.

I have a sister who gets annoyed at me for no reason, and she was my mum's and grandmother's favourite a couple of years back for a long time (not so much anymore), so I know how that can feel.

I would recommend just being tolerable of him, and letting your parents know if he is ever violent - unless your parents are blind or care nothing for your safety, brother or not, then they should do something about this. If not, is there another adult in your family that you could speak to about this?

It's possible that your parents simply don't know the extent of the situation.

I personally don't have much experience with boys of that age, but at the age of 14, I would have though that he would be at least a little mature enough for you to sit down and simply say something along the lines of "I know you don't like me, but that doesn't excuse the way you treat me. You're 14 now, so let's just be tolerable at least. You can still hate me all you want."

I'm not sure. That's just my advice and what I would do if I were in your situation. Failing that, have a chat with your parents instead. Sit them down and explain what you just said to them. They should understand.

Good luck, and don't be afraid of taking action!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.