Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Financial Economics at City vs Accounting and Management at QM

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I'm really stuck between Accounting and management at QM and Financial economics at City. I need ABB for both of them which I think I have got, any advice as to which would be better for university experience, job prospects etc. would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r34_786)
    Hi,I'm really stuck between Accounting and management at QM and Financial economics at City. I need ABB for both of them which I think I have got, any advice as to which would be better for university experience, job prospects etc. would be appreciated.
    Reputation wise I would choose Queen Mary.
    Months ago I wouldn've been tempted to say attending QM is a plus since it is part of the University of London, but since City is joining the UofL this september the argument does not work anymore here. You will enjoy the same rights and privileges as a City student as other students enjoy as part of the UofL.

However, please look at the electives and course content. Don't get me wrong, both institutions are good, with slightly better ranking for QM. I would look at the content and choose on the basis of that. The two courses you mentionned are quite different

ReputationRep:
    Financial Economics at City is incredibly boring, are you sure that's what you want ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryanne90)
    Financial Economics at City is incredibly boring, are you sure that's what you want ??
    I consider both course to be more or less equal. Maybe QM has a slight better reputation (being a Russell group uni). But the fact that the entry requirements are similar shows to me clearly that the courses do not have great differences. City joined the University of London (UoL) in September 2016. So now both QM and City are now colleges of the UoL.

So I would choose based on what course I find more interesting. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    For straight BSc economics which of the two universities have more maths and has better scope for post graduate MSc at LSE for example ??
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyuiopasdf12)
    For straight BSc economics which of the two universities have more maths and has better scope for post graduate MSc at LSE for example ??
    Thanks!
    By looking at the syllabus they seem to have the same level of maths.

Since City recently joined the university of London all of the above institutions (QM, City, LSE) are colleges of the university of London so I would say that both QM and City bachelor graduates should have equal chances of getting a place at the MSc of LSE.

If I really had to choose between the two I would say that in pure economics QM has maybe a slighter better reputation especially in research and also the fact that it is a Russell group member.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppapanastasiou)
    By looking at the syllabus they seem to have the same level of maths.

Since City recently joined the university of London all of the above institutions (QM, City, LSE) are colleges of the university of London so I would say that both QM and City bachelor graduates should have equal chances of getting a place at the MSc of LSE.

If I really had to choose between the two I would say that in pure economics QM has maybe a slighter better reputation especially in research and also the fact that it is a Russell group member.
    I'm in a huge dilemma on which uni to apply for right now.... city is ranked 100-150 for economics and QM is ranked 150-200 (both QS 2017), but QM is a Russell group, but I've heard city is higher for graduate salaries and it's bang in the city of London.... please help!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a huge dilemma on which uni to apply for right now.... city is ranked 100-150 for economics and QM is ranked 150-200 (both QS 2017), but QM is a Russell group, but I've heard city is higher for graduate salaries and it's bang in the city of London.... please help!
    Well the entry requirements can be viewed as the price of a course since they are set by simple demand and supply. For the pure BSc in economics QM requires 36 IB points and City 33. So you see that QM scores higher here at this very important metric, but the differences are not huge, they are somewhat significant though.

But still If you want my view I do not think that any serious employer would strongly prefer QM graduates over City graduates, I would find that very surprising, after all they are both colleges of the university of London and in most ranking metrics they are quite close to each other, with a slight advantage to QM.

What you say is true, City is higher for grafuate salaries and is more central but QM is a Russell group member.

So in short they are close to each other with a slight advantage for QM. My advise is that if it really comes down to these two institutions just visit the places and talk to people that work and study there. Maybe that will give you the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppapanastasiou)
    Well the entry requirements can be viewed as the price of a course since they are set by simple demand and supply. For the pure BSc in economics QM requires 36 IB points and City 33. So you see that QM scores higher here at this very important metric, but the differences are not huge, they are somewhat significant though.

But still If you want my view I do not think that any serious employer would strongly prefer QM graduates over City graduates, I would find that very surprising, after all they are both colleges of the university of London and in most ranking metrics they are quite close to each other, with a slight advantage to QM.

What you say is true, City is higher for grafuate salaries and is more central but QM is a Russell group member.

So in short they are close to each other with a slight advantage for QM. My advise is that if it really comes down to these two institutions just visit the places and talk to people that work and study there. Maybe that will give you the answer.
    Thanks a lot mate! Do you think SOAS BSc economics have more or less or same level of maths as City and QM ?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot mate! Do you think SOAS BSc economics have more or less or same level of maths as City and QM ?
    From the syllabus I would say similar with maybe a little slighter less mathematical component and more towards the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East, so more development economics and similar modules.

Don't forget that SOAS is a specialized institution specializing in the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East and this obviously will be reflected in the courses it offers.

I was also surprised to see that they require 37 IB points which is higher than QM and City, this shows that the course has competitive entry requirements.

SOAS is a good school and also a college of the university of London just like QM and City. But I must nevertheless admit that I was a bit suprised but the high entry standards I would have expected something slighter lower like 35 IB points. But hey you always learn something new.

Poll
Do you have exam superstitions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.