Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't usually post a thread unless I really feel the need to, but this is getting ridiculous. Before the referendum, practically everyone was committed to accepting the rule of the game, especially the Remain side which was predicted to win the referendum. Now this agreement has been completely reversed by a lot of the Remainers (not all) and suddenly their democratic value is right out of the window.

They argue that young people's voice was not heard, when in fact the voting turn-out for the 18-24 age group is only 43% which is far below the average of 72.2%. The question is, why didn't they make an effort to come out and vote, but make such a big effort to complain about the result? And why are they blaming the ones who bothered to vote but not themselves as an age group?

Some even resort to the tactic of insult, saying that most leave voters are uneducated, poor or old. As a leave voter, I am neither uneducated nor old. I am also British Chinese, therefore please don't say that I am a racist. Even if I give you the benefit of the doubt and that this assumption is right, why are you turning against these people? Do they not have their right to defend their individual interests and aspirations for this country? This is interesting because to my observation, these are the 'vulnerable' people this group of Remainers are actively standing up and speaking up for. Why are they now turning against these people who they used to protect so enthusiastically?

As for the economic impact, was this not expected by both sides that there will be a short-term blip to the economy due to uncertainty? The difference in view between the two is that Remain also believes in long-term negative impact whereas Leave only think this is short-term. Given that only 2 days have passed since the referendum, what is so surprising at the moment? You are free to argue about the long-term impact as time progress but right now is this not we all have been expecting?

So my response to those who are calling for a second referendum is:

There is no second referendum. But be strong. All the best. Have a good day, and good health.

I hope those who share my views (from either side), can just post this response to whoever starts complaining about the referendum result from now. It really is getting ridiculous and very annoying. They really deserve no time and attention from us, just let them have a moan and face reality.

ReputationRep:
    Do you expect

-Scotland contemplating an independence referendum
    -sterling dropping to a record low since 1985
    -over $2.1 trillion wiped off in the global stocks market
    -Nigel Farage saying no guarantee that 350 mil will be given to the NHS
    -Boris Johnson saying no concrete plan ahead

If you did expect all these, and still went on to vote for the leave campaign, then well....I'm pretty much speechless.

But now there is no turning back, only time will will what the future holds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vacschemestudent)
    Do you expect

1-Scotland contemplating an independence referendum
    2-sterling dropping to a record low since 1985
    3-over $2.1 trillion wiped off in the global stocks market
    4-Nigel Farage saying no guarantee that 350 mil will be given to the NHS
    5-Boris Johnson saying no concrete plan ahead

If you did expect all these, and still went on to vote for the leave campaign, then well....I'm pretty much speechless.

1. The Scottish are free to decide on their union with the UK, just as the UK decides its own from the EU. We have no right to deprive them of their choice to remain or leave. It is also equally unethical to ignore the overall voice of the British people in hope to satisfy the will of just the Scottish people. This, you should know and understand very well.

2. It has rallied back, you are using the sterling's position at its lowest point. Also as I said from my post, this can only be observed in the short-term capacity. This was expected from both sides.

3. As above.

4. Nigel Farage said he cannot guarantee that the '£350m per week' can be spent on the NHS, and quite rightly he is correct. He is not, nor will he become the Chancellor, he is also not in the ruling government party. What the main point is, is that this extra money can be spent by the government on areas that needs money, whether it is the NHS, building more affordable housing, improving council services. These are all important, and what is the pre-occupation that the NHS is the only area that justifies extra funding?

5. Boris Johnson did not state this, all he said is that we should not leave the EU with 'haste' but rather adopt a strategic timing in which transition can be planned out. A large part of this can only be planned after we knew the referendum result, because it will largely depend on the response of the EU, public sentiments and the overall support of parliament which we cannot predict until now and later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vacschemestudent)
    Do you expect

-Scotland contemplating an independence referendum
    -sterling dropping to a record low since 1985
    -over $2.1 trillion wiped off in the global stocks market
    -Nigel Farage saying no guarantee that 350 mil will be given to the NHS
    -Boris Johnson saying no concrete plan ahead

I DID.
    And seeing that you are speechless, you should stop talking, as it would save us from the drivel that comes from the remain camp.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.