Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

slang and wrong spelling watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand this, i mean is it throughtout the site, that people always critisize people for their slang and when they spell words wrong, deliberatley or accidently, i.e. for people type ppl, missing out the g at the end of words i.e. missin instead of mssing, and when you type something, i mean are they so stupid that they cant make out what your trying to say, or they just tring to show off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sniper999)
    i dont understand this, i mean is it throughtout the site, that people always critisize people for their slang and when they spell words wrong, deliberatley or accidently, i.e. for people type ppl, missing out the g at the end of words i.e. missin instead of mssing, and when you type something, i mean are they so stupid that they cant make out what your trying to say, or they just tring to show off?

If you are referring to me, i'm not bothered whether people spell correctly or not as long as i can understand it. From your previous thread (which was highlighted in bold and had a paragraph taken from a company you want to work for) it seemed as though it had been copied and pasted. I commented that i wouldn't want to work for a company that couldn't spell properly. I never made any slant whatsoever about your spelling as i assumed they had spelt things wrongly. Not you.

ReputationRep:
    jesus louiesus! You have 5 posts in total and how many of them are threads?! Stop bloody complaining!

ReputationRep:
    I love the English language and hate to see people abuse it! Although I don't correct people often, I just cringe on this side of the screen.. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)

If you are referring to me, i'm not bothered whether people spell correctly or not as long as i can understand it. From your previous thread (which was highlighted in bold and had a paragraph taken from a company you want to work for) it seemed as though it had been copied and pasted. I commented that i wouldn't want to work for a company that couldn't spell properly. I never made any slant whatsoever about your spelling as i assumed they had spelt things wrongly. Not you.
    fair enough, but your 2nd point was kinda stupid dont you think, i mean come on, will you really say that to a person thinking that you wont get a back hand slap, or that you'll get chinned?

ReputationRep:
    i know wot u mean
    some people on the forum seem to think that if you abbreviate youre not worthing TALKIN to.
    the way i see it...wots the point in writing a word in full when you can be lazy and shorten it!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    jesus louiesus! You have 5 posts in total and how many of them are threads?! Stop bloody complaining!
    lol, just wondered, cuz i was. well i thought i was being critisized earlier on.

ReputationRep:
    fair enough, but your 2nd point was kinda stupid dont you think, i mean come on, will you really say that to a person thinking that you wont get a back hand slap, or that you'll get chinned?
    Obviously if i thought it was stupid i wouldn't have written it. I do not make a habit of writing stupid things. I don't mind helping people at all thats part of what this forum is about. You didn't make any effort to appear as though you had ideas of what to write.

Why would i want to help you when you haven't even bothered to put any ideas down about what you think? You are expecting someone to come along and write the whole thing for you. And that is just lazy.

ReputationRep:
    lol, just wondered, cuz i was. well i thought i was being critisized earlier on.
    So what if you were? Build a bridge!

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how writing talkin instead of talking saves much time. I don't criticise people for writing in slang, but it does irritate me a bit. If you know how to use the English language properly, then why don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    WELL SAID HUN .... AGREE WITH U ON THAT ONE ;-)

I hate it when people talk in slang, but i don't usually complain too much, if there are simple spelling mistakes it's fine because i probably make those all the time as well, but why do you want to spell incorrectly because it's "faster" when it in fact isn't, it just makes you look more stupid then you really are and it's hard to respect people who still talk like that, most of my friends stopped in about year 8, i never did it to begin with...

ReputationRep:
    nar all diz corect splin is totl BS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    LOL DATS COOL HUNNNY

ReputationRep:
    Hey capslock i noticed that your username is in lower case, not upper case. Was that deliberate irony or was it just an oversight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icklehc)
    i know wot u mean
    some people on the forum seem to think that if you abbreviate youre not worthing TALKIN to.
    the way i see it...wots the point in writing a word in full when you can be lazy and shorten it!?
    exactly my point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Obviously if i thought it was stupid i wouldn't have written it. I do not make a habit of writing stupid things. I don't mind helping people at all thats part of what this forum is about. You didn't make any effort to appear as though you had ideas of what to write.

Why would i want to help you when you haven't even bothered to put any ideas down about what you think? You are expecting someone to come along and write the whole thing for you. And that is just lazy.
    well, you can say that, but ive been more in despair rather than being lazy,

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind abbreviations, but really bad errors such as "there" instead of "their" etc really annoy me *cough*freemason thread :eek:

ReputationRep:
    dats wat im sayin brav, u get me, mans want to be a bit 2 posh and chat it all, showing off their english and all that, i mean you aint exaclty guna chat to you m8, like e.g... let me think 'In order to be profoundly dishonest, a person must have one of two qualities: either he is unscrupulously ambitious, or he is unswervingly egocentric.' u just tell them straight, are you chating **** or what???

ReputationRep:
    well, you can say that, but ive been more in despair rather than being lazy,
    Fair enough you're in despair. But come on, try and help yourself! If you were at work and you couldn't do something would you ask someone to show you how to do it? You would you say "I can't do it, please can you do it for me". Which one is more likely to have the desired outcome?

Do you see my point?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.