The Student Room Group

Muslim in investment banking

I really want to work in banking, specifically in investment research. However, my religion forbids me from drinking alcohol and I've heard of the drinking culture that exists in banks and how bankers go out to the pub for a drink after they finish work and that they also have to go and entertain clients at bars and clubs. However, I'm forbidden from drinking alcohol. I can go to the club or the pub but I can't drink alcohol at all.

Should I pursue a career in banking? I do not see anything ethically wrong with the banking sector as a whole, unlike some Muslims, but I don't feel comfortable drinking alcohol or engaging in the 'models and bottles' lifestyle that bankers have.
Original post by inspiringtop123
I really want to work in banking, specifically in investment research. However, my religion forbids me from drinking alcohol and I've heard of the drinking culture that exists in banks and how bankers go out to the pub for a drink after they finish work and that they also have to go and entertain clients at bars and clubs. However, I'm forbidden from drinking alcohol. I can go to the club or the pub but I can't drink alcohol at all.

Should I pursue a career in banking? I do not see anything ethically wrong with the banking sector as a whole, unlike some Muslims, but I don't feel comfortable drinking alcohol or engaging in the 'models and bottles' lifestyle that bankers have.

I know loads of Muslims in banking so clearly they have no problem with it. I guess it depends on how strict you are.

However, you will probably struggle with banking as a career if you cannot drink alcohol. Ultimately you may struggle to network and/or build clients.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This probably sounds obvious, but you do know that pubs and clubs serve soft drinks too, as you say that's the only thing that's holding you back.

Lots of jobs have a culture where you might go to the pub after work or for a night out. Rejecting a particular career solely on such a tangential aspect seems ludicrous IMO.
Reply 3
As a Christian, this is something that I'm concerned about as well. However, there are plenty of Muslim and Christian bankers in London and I'm sure some of them do not drink alcohol, yet they have their jobs. Overall, I think it might affect your reputation amongst your coworkers and you might get bullied for it a bit but I doubt you'll lose your job for it.

Just order some juice. You will get taken the piss out of for it but if you really want to work in banking you're going to have to do it. Or go into something like accounting where they don't have that culture.
(edited 7 years ago)
Surely with banking you should have more of a problem with interest etc :lol:
Order some juice.
many people within banking don't drink.

i've worked within banking for 5+ months and not once ever drank, and i've been fine.

as others have mentioned if you are going out with your team, order something that doesn't have alcohol.. noone cares.

on the whole, if you're deeply religious and aren't willing to relax your sense of morality, banking as a career can become generally difficult, especially in the later years
Loads of Muslims in the industry, it's not a big deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Indeterminate
Surely with banking you should have more of a problem with interest etc :lol:

Not in research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by inspiringtop123

If you are interested in investment research why do you want to go into sell side research? Research in banking is prob the worst place for research as its mainly short term research to encourage clients to trade and be charged commissions. Its all about volume..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
It's fine, and muslim traditions are well respected. Everyone I know who wants to even observes Ramadan without issues.*
I think its tougher being vegetarian in Banking.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending