The Student Room Group

Dyed my hair black for 3 years, Now i want it dark brown with ombre????

So i'll blatantly have to have the dye bleached out because i've dyed it black every month for 3 years......Has this, or something similar, happened to any of you?
Reply 1
I've went from black to brown many times. First thing I would recommend is using a hair colour remover such as Colour B4, Scott Cornwall Decolour etc. They are about £10 and they don't damage your hair but can dry it out but nothing that a good load of conditioner wont help. This will help remove a lot of the black so you can put brown dye over it and then you will only have to bleach the parts you want ombre instead of bleaching your full head to get the black colour out. It may take 2 or 3 times using the colour remover to get most or all of the black out but its cheaper and safer for your hair to do it that way than bleach all your hair. I've had black come out in one go and then other times its took 2 tries with the colour remover but definitely noticed a huge change in my hair colour after one use and it was lighter.

If the colour is light enough to put a brown over it after using a colour remover than you can dye it immediately after it but always use a semi permanent dye after a colour remover as oxidation can occur when using a permanent colour soon after colour stripping and that would make your colour go black, even if you used a bright colour. Go for a colour lighter than what you were after as it can do darker after colour stripping, even with a semi perm dye. So say you wanted chocolate brown, go for a light brown dye and it'll come out a more chocolate colour than light brown.
(edited 7 years ago)
use colourb4 to get rid of the black before u dye it
Yes ive dyed mu hair black 4 months now i want 2 go a silver grey ish colour

Quick Reply