the_real_antler
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So until recently I was probably set to study Further Maths as an 11th GCSE (I start all my GCSE courses next year but some topics overlap with the content I studied this year) but I recently got offered a place in a rather exclusive Italian iGCSE course at my school because of a good exam result in French. I would already be studying French and Spanish next year, and I'm not sure whether to take it or not. With Further Maths, that would be 12 GCSEs, and I don't know what it would be like to study that many subjects at once. My French class has already done quite a lot of the GCSE course so I guess I could focus on Italian a bit more; how easy is an Italian iGCSE with AQA? General thoughts would be appreciated
niv1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the_real_antler)
So until recently I was probably set to study Further Maths as an 11th GCSE (I start all my GCSE courses next year but some topics overlap with the content I studied this year) but I recently got offered a place in a rather exclusive Italian iGCSE course at my school because of a good exam result in French. I would already be studying French and Spanish next year, and I'm not sure whether to take it or not. With Further Maths, that would be 12 GCSEs, and I don't know what it would be like to study that many subjects at once. My French class has already done quite a lot of the GCSE course so I guess I could focus on Italian a bit more; how easy is an Italian iGCSE with AQA? General thoughts would be appreciated
Hi,

I think I would choose the Italian because its something different and interesting. Also, I really enjoy languages, I did French, German and Latin for GCSE, I think you should do it if you also like languages. I did AQA iGCSE French and German and they were both quite similar. I wouldn't say they were easy but I definitely found them a lot easier than my other subjects. There are 4 exams in case you didn't know, reading, writing, listening and speaking and they are all worth 25% each and there is no coursework.
1jonam16
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by the_real_antler)
I would choose the maths course if i were you, I feel as if with languages you need more than 1 year to pick it up (e.g. I've learnt french for 5 years before my exmas). Fro the maths you don't have to learn much as it is mostly similar to normal maths.
chris2791
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You should choose further maths must more useful for your gcse and in real life italian is useless otherwise you are going to use it
nega166
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just do both, Italian will be easy if you pay attention in class and FM is just a matter of understanding the topics and doing past papers, and since you're doing maths already it'll be easier. It probably won't feel like 12 gcses
username2324315
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You'll get a much better result for Italian with a lot less effort compared to FM. I love languages and did iGCSE French and Spanish and I'd say the workload of both of them equated to about one GCSE. If you're good at languages, you'll find it easy. People who are considered to be good at maths in my year still found FM very hard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (46)
37.7%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.84%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.1%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
23.77%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (20)
16.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.2%

Watched Threads