The Student Room Group

Postgrad Speech & Language Therapy 2017 Entry (PG Dip/MSc)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Canadian86
Thanks for the quick reply. I agree that we will probably hear later, though the deadline was actually the same for UCL, which is why I'm not sure what to expect.

Congrats to everyone who has interviews so far!

That's strange. I thought international students submit their applications at a later date ?
Original post by Adesola
That's strange. I thought international students submit their applications at a later date ?

It depends on the school.

I only applied to UCL and City. For UCL they were due at the same time, whereas City has a much later date (I think sometime in January).
Thanks for the quick reply. I agree that we will probably hear later, though the deadline was actually the same for UCL, which is why I'm not sure what to expect.

Congrats to everyone who has interviews so far!

Ah okay sorry didn't realise that. Hopefully you won't have too much longer to wait then! You could always email and ask, they seem really friendly in the emails they have sent me :smile:
Hi everyone,

I've been invited to an interview for UCL on the 5th Jan, anyone else got one on that date?

:smile:
I got 2 emails from Sheffield yesterday saying that I didn't get an interview. Why send 2?

Waiting hear from City and Reading now
Original post by JustZara
Hi everyone,

I've been invited to an interview for UCL on the 5th Jan, anyone else got one on that date?

:smile:

Mines on the 4th but I wish it was on the 5th :frown: then i wouldn't need a day off work.
Well done on your interview :smile:
Original post by Danielle2708
I got 2 emails from Sheffield yesterday saying that I didn't get an interview. Why send 2?

Waiting hear from City and Reading now

Oh no sorry to hear that :frown:

I know I hope Reading get back to us soon!
Hey everyone,

I am in third year at Sheffield uni doing English Lang and Lit but want to pursue a career in speech and Lang therapy. I therefore applied to the Sheffield mmedsci but got rejected for an interview. I was just wondering which other courses I can apply to without having yet completed my degree and when the deadlines are?
However, I don't have all that much experience aside from volunteering with autistic children at the weekends. I am therefore expecting to take a year out but want to know what people would suggest would be the best things to do in terms of volunteering during this year that would make me ready to apply next year? Hoping to fit this around part time work so I can sustain myself financially and maybe some travelling too! Or maybe there would be a full time job I could get into that would be beneficial to leading towards speech therapy?
Basically what did you guys do in your year out/for experience and how did you sustain this? Thanks :smile: x
Reply 328
Anyone know what the format of the interview at Sheffield is? There is little information in the email and I just don't know what to expect/prep!
So, have all you UK/EU applicants heard back from UCL now? Or are some people still waiting?
Reply 330
So, have all you UK/EU applicants heard back from UCL now? Or are some people still waiting?

I'm yet to hear either way but can pretty much guess the answer now!

I don't think they have completely finished offering interviews yet.

I've given up on hearing anything to be honest.
Original post by Jfay90
I'm yet to hear either way but can pretty much guess the answer now!

I'm sure you'll get an interview at UCL, I mean you got an interview for Sheffield!
Hey guys! I lurked about reading all of your posts, decided to finally make an account. :smile:

@Canadian86 I applied to UCL this year, still yet to hear back, now fully expecting to be taking a year out. :/

I just want to know now, either way. My application was completed 7 weeks ago, I'm tired of being in limbo!
Original post by dunksy18
Hey everyone, I am in third year at Sheffield uni doing English Lang and Lit but want to pursue a career in speech and Lang therapy. I therefore applied to the Sheffield mmedsci but got rejected for an interview. I was just wondering which other courses I can apply to without having yet completed my degree and when the deadlines are? However, I don't have all that much experience aside from volunteering with autistic children at the weekends. I am therefore expecting to take a year out but want to know what people would suggest would be the best things to do in terms of volunteering during this year that would make me ready to apply next year? Hoping to fit this around part time work so I can sustain myself financially and maybe some travelling too! Or maybe there would be a full time job I could get into that would be beneficial to leading towards speech therapy? Basically what did you guys do in your year out/for experience and how did you sustain this? Thanks x

Hi, regarding courses there were some that allowed you to apply without having finished your degree but most deadlines have passed now. Essex is still open but I'm not sure if you have to have your degree already - worth checking? Maybe some other people will know. Regarding the year out... (I have had just about a year and 8 months tbh - will be over two years if I get a place in Sept. I worked as a TA from June 2015-April 2016. They knew I was interested in SLT so I worked 1:1 with children with SLT needs and ran a few language groups - this was full time and I didn't have the opportunity to get any other work experience alongside as I couldn't drive for most the time and there was nothing local in the evenings/weekend. I did manage to get two weeks at a SLCN unit just before I started the TA job though, while I was waiting for the DBS to come through - I just asked and they were happy to let me shadow TAs and the SLT. Then I learnt to drive which was the best thing I did as I could then apply for SLT assistant jobs. I eventually got one in Surrey (which meant relocating) and I've been here since April. It's 4 days a week which means I can use my spare day volunteering with adults (with Aphasia) and I found another relevant group to help out one evening a week through the local volunteer centre. These all involve lots of travel but are worth it! So yes it's not easy - I had to have paid jobs as I couldn't afford to just volunteer so I think that all took longer but there are lots of relevant jobs around. If I get a place for September I may have to drop some of the volunteering in order to get more work to save to fund the course but I will just see what happens. I think a lot depends on where you live - some places at easier to get experience than others. If you have experience with children try and get some with adults too as a variety is good. Best of luck!
Hi! @rainbowworld

To get the SLT assistant job, did they require you to have a level 3 or above NVQ in care/something similar? All of the positions I'm seeing seem to need one!
Original post by CaroarKat
Hi! @rainbowworld

To get the SLT assistant job, did they require you to have a level 3 or above NVQ in care/something similar? All of the positions I'm seeing seem to need one!

No I don't have an NVQ. Most applications said NVQ or equivalent experience. I could talk about my TA job and I spent a year in a ASD unit on placement during my degree so they must have counted as equivalent experience and I think having a degree helped (as obviously this is above NVQ level and parts of it were relevant), even though you don't technically need one for the job I don't think I would have got it if I didn't have one. It's worth applying even if they ask for an NVQ, the worst they can say is no. Although the other girl who got an assistant job the same time as me had a NVQ but if you write a good application and interview well it's probably not essential. I didn't get the first job I applied for (although I definitely ended up with the best job out of the ones I applied for - split post so variety of experience and not really admin heavy like some), you just have to keep trying!
But there are lots of other relevant jobs - like some council jobs or more general health roles or TA or children's centre or anything with SEN or adults with health needs. None of the SLTs I work with now were assistants before they did their course (and most did the MSc) and when I spoke to students at City they said only 2/3 people on the course we're SLT assistants before and there are ~80 in the cohort I think. And I haven't even heard from most the places I've applied to so it's definitely not guaranteed to get you a place even if you are an SLT assistant!!
Are you still studying or are you working ATM?
Original post by rainbowworld
No I don't have an NVQ. Most applications said NVQ or equivalent experience. I could talk about my TA job and I spent a year in a ASD unit on placement during my degree so they must have counted as equivalent experience and I think having a degree helped (as obviously this is above NVQ level and parts of it were relevant), even though you don't technically need one for the job I don't think I would have got it if I didn't have one. It's worth applying even if they ask for an NVQ, the worst they can say is no. Although the other girl who got an assistant job the same time as me had a NVQ but if you write a good application and interview well it's probably not essential. I didn't get the first job I applied for (although I definitely ended up with the best job out of the ones I applied for - split post so variety of experience and not really admin heavy like some), you just have to keep trying!
But there are lots of other relevant jobs - like some council jobs or more general health roles or TA or children's centre or anything with SEN or adults with health needs. None of the SLTs I work with now were assistants before they did their course (and most did the MSc) and when I spoke to students at City they said only 2/3 people on the course we're SLT assistants before and there are ~80 in the cohort I think. And I haven't even heard from most the places I've applied to so it's definitely not guaranteed to get you a place even if you are an SLT assistant!!
Are you still studying or are you working ATM?

Oh that's good news, thanks! :smile: I'll definitely apply to any of the feasible ones (close enough to home/high enough paid to rent somewhere) despite not having an NVQ, and maybe I'd try to get the NVQ (I found a free one) whilst working, just as an extra qualification.

I'm still studying at the moment, looking to get a relevant job as soon as I graduate (assuming UCL rejects me, which they still haven't confirmed - their term ends tomorrow, I'm going to email them if they don't say anything by tomorrow night!). If I can't swing an assistant post, there are a variety of SEN schools near my home, hopefully one of those would take me...
Original post by dunksy18
Hey everyone,

I am in third year at Sheffield uni doing English Lang and Lit but want to pursue a career in speech and Lang therapy. I therefore applied to the Sheffield mmedsci but got rejected for an interview. I was just wondering which other courses I can apply to without having yet completed my degree and when the deadlines are?
However, I don't have all that much experience aside from volunteering with autistic children at the weekends. I am therefore expecting to take a year out but want to know what people would suggest would be the best things to do in terms of volunteering during this year that would make me ready to apply next year? Hoping to fit this around part time work so I can sustain myself financially and maybe some travelling too! Or maybe there would be a full time job I could get into that would be beneficial to leading towards speech therapy?
Basically what did you guys do in your year out/for experience and how did you sustain this? Thanks :smile: x

Have you not considered applying to SLT undergraduate courses? There are more courses on offer at this level and some are 3 year courses so same timescale as gap year & postgrad course. Funding shouldn't be an issue as SLT funding is available as a second degree via SFE isn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending