The Student Room Group

Postgrad Speech & Language Therapy 2017 Entry (PG Dip/MSc)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Has anyone heard anything from Sheffield? It's been 7 weeks since my interview now and nothing! I work with another SLTA who interviewed there too and hasn't heard anything yet.

I know they said end of Jan/start of Feb so was hoping it might be soon!
Original post by SarcasticQueen
Oh that's super helpful to know.

I didn't realise there was a Maths test involved! That makes me very anxious!!!!

It might be worth checking previous threads from the last few years to see if they've discussed the interview? Might give you some insight into the questions etc?

Yep, unfortunately there is a maths test but I am hoping it is just basic maths as I haven't done maths since GCSE so I am so rusty! Yes good idea, I may have a look on there now :smile:
Original post by beccabooo
Hi everyone,

Has anyone got an interview for Essex next wednesday? I am really nervous and not sure what to expect! Obviously I know not too much can be said about it, but was wondering if the maths test is hard? and the type of questions they ask at the interview? :smile:

Sorry I didn't apply to Essex personally but just wanted to wish you good luck!
Im sure the maths test won't be too difficult :smile:

Yes every year Essex start interviewing before the deadline so best to get your application in asap.
Original post by jray2
Has anyone heard anything from Sheffield? It's been 7 weeks since my interview now and nothing! I work with another SLTA who interviewed there too and hasn't heard anything yet.

I know they said end of Jan/start of Feb so was hoping it might be soon!

Hey, I didn't apply to Sheffield but wondered if you are a SaLTA? I've not found anyone else on here who is!
Also keeping my fingers crossed for you that it is good news when you hear!
City should be informing people about interviews on Monday! I expect this thread will get busy! Fingers crossed for everyone.
Original post by rainbowworld
Sorry I didn't apply to Essex personally but just wanted to wish you good luck!
Im sure the maths test won't be too difficult :smile:

Yes every year Essex start interviewing before the deadline so best to get your application in asap.

Thank you! where have you applied to? :smile: I am also waiting to hear back from City about an interview! hopefully will hear on the 23rd! The whole application process has been stressful, I just really want to get on a course!!
Thank you! where have you applied to? :smile: I am also waiting to hear back from City about an interview! hopefully will hear on the 23rd! The whole application process has been stressful, I just really want to get on a course!!

I applied to UCL, Reading and City. I am really lucky and have been offered a place at UCL so I am feeling.more relaxed now but I know how horrible and stressful the waiting is. I am still waiting to hear from Reading. I'm not sure if City accepted my application or not (reference was late), but UCL would be my preference over City anyway.

So you applied to Essex and City... Anywhere else?
I applied to UCL, Reading and City. I am really lucky and have been offered a place at UCL so I am feeling.more relaxed now but I know how horrible and stressful the waiting is. I am still waiting to hear from Reading. I'm not sure if City accepted my application or not (reference was late), but UCL would be my preference over City anyway.

So you applied to Essex and City... Anywhere else?

Well done! bet you feel really relieved and UCL has such a good reputation! I applied to Essex, City and Sheffield. I am in my final year so couldn't apply to Reading and I didn't realise at the time that I could have applied to UCL even though I didn't already hold a degree so I missed out on that! Didn't get an interview for Sheffield :/ My hopes are riding on City and Essex!
Well done! bet you feel really relieved and UCL has such a good reputation! I applied to Essex, City and Sheffield. I am in my final year so couldn't apply to Reading and I didn't realise at the time that I could have applied to UCL even though I didn't already hold a degree so I missed out on that! Didn't get an interview for Sheffield :/ My hopes are riding on City and Essex!

Thanks, yes very relieved. I was so happy, but then I had an awful week at work (I'm a SLTA) and had a ..'is this what I want to do!!??' moment! But it is, just the stresses of the NHS! Still love my job.

Aw best of luck with City and Essex then! What are you studying for your undergrad?
Thanks, yes very relieved. I was so happy, but then I had an awful week at work (I'm a SLTA) and had a ..'is this what I want to do!!??' moment! But it is, just the stresses of the NHS! Still love my job.

Aw best of luck with City and Essex then! What are you studying for your undergrad?

I bet! ah not good :/ Is this the first year you applied to the course? I am doing English Language (so large focus on linguistics and phonology) :smile:
I bet! ah not good :/ Is this the first year you applied to the course? I am doing English Language (so large focus on linguistics and phonology) :smile:

Yes it's the first year I have applied. I toyed with it last year and started my application but didn't apply in the end as I didn't think I had enough experience or very strong references and at the time I was also busy trying to pass my driving test and sending off applications for SLTA jobs (I was a TA then). So yeah I thought I would wait until this year THEN I heard about the government stopping the funding and I was cross with myself that I hadn't applied but I'm so glad they delayed that and it has all worked out for the best! I feel so much more knowledgeable/prepared now after working as a SLTA for only 9 months than I did before.

Oh that is a very relevant degree! Mine is not very relevant (only relevant bit is a few psychology modules that I barely remember now!!) so I will have a lot to learn on the course!! I'm trying to get some phonology reading in but it's pretty complicated to pick up from a book 😂
Good luck today everyone with City applications!! AHH SO SCARED
Yes it's the first year I have applied. I toyed with it last year and started my application but didn't apply in the end as I didn't think I had enough experience or very strong references and at the time I was also busy trying to pass my driving test and sending off applications for SLTA jobs (I was a TA then). So yeah I thought I would wait until this year THEN I heard about the government stopping the funding and I was cross with myself that I hadn't applied but I'm so glad they delayed that and it has all worked out for the best! I feel so much more knowledgeable/prepared now after working as a SLTA for only 9 months than I did before.

Oh that is a very relevant degree! Mine is not very relevant (only relevant bit is a few psychology modules that I barely remember now!!) so I will have a lot to learn on the course!! I'm trying to get some phonology reading in but it's pretty complicated to pick up from a book 😂

Well at least you have a place somewhere! I don't know if I have enough experience really, sounds like you have lots of relevant experience especially working as a SLTA, which will really help with placements on the course :smile: what did you do your degree in? :smile:
Hey,

I'm doing an MSc in adult nursing and I think it's worth you investigating the NHS Bursary. I was part of the campaign that lobbied every Tom, Dick and Harry to try and get it stopped, but Hunt was going to do it regardless.

However, one of the main concessions that they gave were around PG courses being different to UG, among other tings. So they mentioned that 'for now' transitional measures to continue NHS Bursary funding for PG study will continue.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, this could be applicable for your course.
Original post by itsammayte
Hey,

I'm doing an MSc in adult nursing and I think it's worth you investigating the NHS Bursary. I was part of the campaign that lobbied every Tom, Dick and Harry to try and get it stopped, but Hunt was going to do it regardless.

However, one of the main concessions that they gave were around PG courses being different to UG, among other tings. So they mentioned that 'for now' transitional measures to continue NHS Bursary funding for PG study will continue.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, this could be applicable for your course.

Yes, you're right. There is still NHS funding for postgraduate SLT courses for 2017 entry.
Yes, you're right. There is still NHS funding for postgraduate SLT courses for 2017 entry.

I'm guessing they've decided positively it's not going to be funded for 2018 entry?
Original post by SarcasticQueen
I'm guessing they've decided positively it's not going to be funded for 2018 entry?

As far as I'm aware, yes, there will be no NHS funding in 2018. I don't think they have proposed an alternative yet though? Maybe it will get too late again and they will extend the NHS funding again 😂
Reply 417
As far as I'm aware, yes, there will be no NHS funding in 2018. I don't think they have proposed an alternative yet though? Maybe it will get too late again and they will extend the NHS funding again 😂

At our team meeting last week the Head of SLT had met with Newcastle Uni and they are under the impression there is definitely no funding for 2018 entry. But to be fair they said that this time last year and look what happened!
Been invited to an interview for City ! I'm so shocked. I didn't think I would get it as its so competitive and I don't have much experience. I'm so happy 😅😅.

Good luck to everyone :smile:
Original post by Adesola
Been invited to an interview for City ! I'm so shocked. I didn't think I would get it as its so competitive and I don't have much experience. I'm so happy 😅😅.

Good luck to everyone :smile:

Yay well done!! Which day are you going to book?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending