The Student Room Group

Corbyn blew the Brexit referendum

Interesting article from Politico.

http://www.politico.eu/article/how-david-cameron-lost-brexit-eu-referendum-prime-minister-campaign-remain-boris-craig-oliver-jim-messina-obama/

About a month before the vote Cameron's staff knew they had serious problems in Labour heartlands (like the North-East that ended up voting Leave by a huge margin). They reached out to Corbyn asking him to make a joint appeal with the Prime Minister, believing this would be a good way to reach those voters.

Corbyn refused. President Obama was even roped in and was willing to call Corbyn to ask him to do this, but Corbyn's staff refused.

I personally voted out, but this does confirm how incompetent and slimy Corbyn is.
Reply 1
No. He. DIDN'T. It would not have made that much difference to the results. The only people responsible for leaving the EU were the people who voted out. I don't think it's fair to point fingers and find someone to blame. Brexit may be a blessing in disguise for all we know.
Reply 2
Original post by Thutmose-III
Interesting article from Politico.

http://www.politico.eu/article/how-david-cameron-lost-brexit-eu-referendum-prime-minister-campaign-remain-boris-craig-oliver-jim-messina-obama/

About a month before the vote Cameron's staff knew they had serious problems in Labour heartlands (like the North-East that ended up voting Leave by a huge margin). They reached out to Corbyn asking him to make a joint appeal with the Prime Minister, believing this would be a good way to reach those voters.

Corbyn refused. President Obama was even roped in and was willing to call Corbyn to ask him to do this, but Corbyn's staff refused.

I personally voted out, but this does confirm how incompetent and slimy Corbyn is.

Corbyn didn't really believe in the EU he has been against it throughout his career but for the party he said he supported remaining.

He saved the party and kind of stayed true to his beliefs so you can not attack him for that.
Original post by Kyle1198
No. He. DIDN'T. It would not have made that much difference to the results. The only people responsible for leaving the EU were the people who voted out. I don't think it's fair to point fingers and find someone to blame. Brexit may be a blessing in disguise for all we know.

I think he would have made a difference. He only had to shift one in 50 voters. The people who are involved in actually winning elections and know how to go about it (David Cameron, Barack Obama, Jim Messina) all felt that a Corbyn intervention would be crucial.

It appears they were right.
Original post by joecphillips
Corbyn didn't really believe in the EU he has been against it throughout his career but for the party he said he supported remaining.

And now it looks like he sabotaged the Remain campaign. He should have either admitted he was anti-EU (and consequently not been elected as leader) or he should have put all his effort into successfully winning the campaign.

He saved the party and kind of stayed true to his beliefs so you can not attack him for that.

How did he stay true to his beliefs? He has been a eurosceptic for a long time, pretended not to be in order to get power in the Labour Party and then still screwed the pro-EU faction of the party by undermining the Remain campaign
Well he didn't seem to be trying very hard given that he was supposedly the leader of a major party.

Hard to say what difference he'd have made - I don't think he's able to communicate well with labour core voters and might as well be talking venusian as far as most of them are concerned.

for those unfamiliar btw this is what venusian sounds like...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending