Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a quick question, and it might seem silly, in that it will probably seem obvious as soon as I hear the answer, but I'm tired and stuck and I just want to finish my homework.
    The question is as follows:

A satellite orbits the Earth once every 97 minutes.

a) Calculate the angular velocity.
    I've worked this out to be 1.08x10^-3. (I know it should be to 2s.f.)

b) Calculate the radius of the orbit.
    This is where I get stuck. I have all of the equations in front of me, but I can't figure out how to combine them to have r in the equation without having to know the linear velocity.

I know that v=(2pi r)/T and v=wr, but when I try to equate them the r just cancels out, and I basically just don't know. It seems like I have to know v to know r, but I also have to know r to know v.

Any kind of hint is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Just trying to bump this up in latest discussions because I really need to know.

ReputationRep:
    I'd try assuming the centripetal acceleration equalled g and using
    a=ω2 r

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    I'd try assuming the centripetal acceleration equalled g and using
    a=ω2 r
    I ended up figuring out, but thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.