Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So far I have done C1-4, S1 and M1, and I have mostly finished that (but I may want to retake a module or two).

I have only two subjects next year, so I was wondering if I can do further maths fully in one year.

I have a few question about this that I'd be very thankful if you people could help me on:
    - Is it really hard?
    - What will I have to do for additional subjects considering that I've done S1 and M1, I'm wondering because it seems like I'll have to do M2 and S2 which I heard were difficult.
    - Do universities care if I do this? Are they going to know about this since further maths isn't in my predicted grades.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I did AS and A2 maths in one year so i don't see why you can't do FM AS and A2 in one year.
    the difficulty will depend on your choice of modules.
    easiest:
    FP1
    FP2
    D1
    D2
    S2
    M2
    hardest;
    FP1
    FP2
    FP3
    M2
    M3
    M4

if you're self-studying, pick your modules wisely. if you're doing it at a school or college, you won't have much control over the modules you'll do. however, schools and colleges usually pick the easier modules for FM so it shouldn't be much harder than AS/A2 maths.

ReputationRep:
    Thabks.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine; this is exactly what my school does for students who pick Further Maths -- we take C1-4, S1 and M1 in Year 12, and FP1-3, S2, M2 and D1 in Year 13.

I went down an even harder path myself, because I started out doing only Maths (C1, C2 and S1 in Year 12) but changed my mind right at the start of Y13.
    I originally planned to do just A2 Maths (C3, C4 and M1) and AS Further (FP1, D1 and either S2 or M2) in parallel, but my school decided that I was doing well enough that I could take A2 Further this year as well.
    As a result I went from doing three maths modules in Y12 to doing nine maths modules in Y13...

I've come out of that mostly fine (though it was admittedly pretty stressful) so you shouldn't have any trouble doing AS+A2 FM if you've already done AS+A2 Maths.

Regarding predicted grades-- I don't know if all schools handle them the same way, but I submitted my UCAS application at the start of December and my school included predictions for all of my A-levels including Further Maths even though I hadn't completed any exams for it yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrainJuice)
    So far I have done C1-4, S1 and M1, and I have mostly finished that (but I may want to retake a module or two).

I have only two subjects next year, so I was wondering if I can do further maths fully in one year.

I have a few question about this that I'd be very thankful if you people could help me on:
    - Is it really hard?
    - What will I have to do for additional subjects considering that I've done S1 and M1, I'm wondering because it seems like I'll have to do M2 and S2 which I heard were difficult.
    - Do universities care if I do this? Are they going to know about this since further maths isn't in my predicted grades.

Thank you.
    I attempted AS and A2 for Physics, Maths and Further Maths this year. I did C1-C4, M1-M4, S1-S2 and FP1-FP2.

M2, M3 and M4 went terrible and rest of the units were fine. I have heard D1 and D2 are easy.

Since your Unique Learner Identifier number is sent to University, they will know about it during clearing process. Good Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Someone from my sixth form did Alevel further maths in a year and got an A* and got 4A*'s overall - anything is possible lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.