Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Be careful what you can't be bothered to vote for... Watch

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Sky did an analysis of their polling data and this is the turnout by voter age.

18-24: 36%
    25-34: 58%
    35-44: 72%
    45-54: 75%
    55-64: 81%
    65+: 83%

Source: https://twitter.com/SkyData/status/746700869656256512

So in the age group that will be most affected by the referendum and, according to other polls (including on TSR), were by far most likely to vote to stay in the EU, the vast majority couldn't be bothered to go out and vote.

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    And a significant amount of that 64% of 18-24 will probably moan about the turnout being less than 75%...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I've been saying it all day. You don't vote, you don't get to moan about it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by jneill)

So in the age group that will be most affected by the referendum and, according to other polls (including on TSR), were by far most likely to vote to stay in the EU, the vast majority couldn't be bothered to go out and vote.

Indeed. So it's little wonder the result was what it was when the older people who were more likely to be leavers were the ones that went out.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Indeed. So it's little wonder the result was what it was when the older people who were more likely to be leavers were the ones that went out.
    Yup.

Although not all older people voted Leave

ReputationRep:
    But you do realize the people older than 50 were here before and when we entered the EU. They have a much better idea of how being in the EU has impacted the UK, and frankly I trust their judgment over some students who think they know everything
    #leave4life
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How disappointing, I genuinely didn't expect the turnout to be that low amongst young people. I guess having always been in a politically engaged environment, maybe I've not understood the attitudes of most young people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    But you do realize the people older than 50 were here before and when we entered the EU. They have a much better idea of how being in the EU has impacted the UK, and frankly I trust their judgment over some students who think they know everything
    #leave4life
    When I was younger that was the main consensus among 18-24 year olds. And what now? The majority are all safe space individualist know it all's and only a minority tend to have a modest frame of mind.

ReputationRep:
    those with the most life experience voted to leave and i accept their decision. Let's not take the 16-24 year old vote very seriously when you spend most your time living off government loans, in highly protected restricted campuses and receiving a corporate pro big business education.

ReputationRep:
    Sky did an analysis of their polling data and this is the turnout by voter age.

18-24: 36%
    25-34: 58%
    35-44: 72%
    45-54: 75%
    55-64: 81%
    65+: 83%

Source: https://twitter.com/SkyData/status/746700869656256512

There is no excuse. Those who didn't vote could of registered and they could of used the postal vote system.

Why they didn't do this was a case of being completely lazy. There is huge amount of computer equipment in places of education and now days you can buy a 2nd hand 3-5 year old desktop PC for as little as £50 or a bran new Linux unit for as little as £20.

Its just a case of sheer laziness and then whining about the views of the older generation as if we are suppose to do the will of the younger generation.

The level of entitlement is though the roof.

But as for you younger generation who voted you have my respect on this matter.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    How disappointing, I genuinely didn't expect the turnout to be that low amongst young people. I guess having always been in a politically engaged environment, maybe I've not understood the attitudes of most young people...
    My opinion has also been skewed by my social group. My friends are very political to the point of being annoying. My facebook is now filled with people dispairing over the decision. It's depressing. One person in particular keeps making judgemental remarks that even I (a remainer) find distasteful.

(Original post by GUMI)
    #leave4life
    Times change and with information readily available at our fingertips in the age of internet I wouldn't say that a few more years of anecdotes counts for much.

Yup.

Although not all older people voted Leave
    I'm sure you're young at heart .
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    They should have put a Polling Station at Glastonbury...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good. Most younger people are so full of **** its astounding. What makes it worse is they think they know everything so you have an entire demographic of arrogant idiots walking around who think they are somehow spiritually enlightened because they went to a university ranked 20th in the UK and spent a gap year in Kenya.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    There is no excuse. Those who didn't vote could of registered and they could of used the postal vote system.

Why they didn't do this was a case of being completely lazy. There is huge amount of computer equipment in places of education and now days you can buy a 2nd hand 3-5 year old desktop PC for as little as £50 or a bran new Linux unit for as little as £20.

Its just a case of sheer laziness and then whining about the views of the older generation as if we are suppose to do the will of the younger generation.

The level of entitlement is though the roof.

But as for you younger generation who voted you have my respect on this matter.
    I don't disagree. Unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree. Unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Suppose that is better than you admins giving me my daily flagging

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    #leave4life
    So instead of forming your own opinions you just agree with the older people? We'd still be living in caves if we all thought like you.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I would also be curious to know how many of those 36% didn't actually vote, but were too ashamed to admit it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by GUMI)
    #leave4life
    Except that people are often at their brightest, most insightful, inventive and creative when they are young:

"Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking developed their most groundbreaking work in physics in their 20s. Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone at 29. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was composing symphonies in his teens. Jesus kicked off a global movement by 33."

There are many excellent politicians who are under 30.

And yet you don't trust young people's judgement? (If they can get out of bed, of course...)

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand what the issue is here.
    Clearly,and I mean clearly,the people who cared the most about this issue went out and voted.
    While the people who weren't that bothered didn't.

That's how it should be isn't it?

And if someone who didn't vote complains about the outcome well I don't have a problem with that. The fact is whether they voted or not wouldn't have changed things.

I never vote myself but I never fail to despise every government this country has had except for Blairs first term.

Mind you I'm deeply shocked at the 83% over 65 figure. If I'd known that many could walk I'd have bet heavily on leave st generous odds.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.