Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Currently, I am doing 4 AS levels in Business studies, Government and
    Politics, Sociology and Psychology, and I have been predicted 4 A's. I was
    planning on dropping an AS level and focusing on 3, beacuse that is what most university's want.

I was wondering, do you think that uni's would be more inclined to offer a student a place if they continued with 4 A levels and maybe did general
    studies as a 5th A level. The reason I wish to do this is because my GCSE
    results were extremely poor (4 A's, 5 B's C D) due to extraneous reasons,
    and so I want to prove to the admissions officers that I can
    cope with the work, and produce good quality work.

Whats your opinion?

thanks

jay

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs aren't extremely poor, they're pretty good overall. IMO, there's no real reason to do 4 or 5 subjects for A Level unless you enjoy them lots. Just doing 3 and doing well, having a good personal statement, etc should be plenty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
    Hey guys,

Currently, I am doing 4 AS levels in Business studies, Government and
    Politics, Sociology and Psychology, and I have been predicted 4 A's. I was
    planning on dropping an AS level and focusing on 3, beacuse that is what most university's want.

I was wondering, do you think that uni's would be more inclined to offer a student a place if they continued with 4 A levels and maybe did general
    studies as a 5th A level. The reason I wish to do this is because my GCSE
    results were extremely poor (4 A's, 5 B's C D) due to extraneous reasons,
    and so I want to prove to the admissions officers that I can
    cope with the work, and produce good quality work.

Whats your opinion?

thanks

jay
    lol @ your 'extremely poor' GCSEs....you obviously set yourself high standards - they aren't bad at all. Most uni's will ask for 3 A levels, 4 A levels might give you an extra edge over other applicants if it's a highly competitive course, just make sure the 4th A level is relevant to the course you are applying for, otherwise it won't make a great deal of difference.

ReputationRep:
    they are not poor GCSEs, I got 2Bs 6Cs 2Ds... and I was dead chuffed.
    Most Unis say they want 5 GCSEs at C or above, often including maths, english, science dependingon the degree. And pretty much all of us have that amount of Cs and above for getting into college.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys....

thats really nice of you to say my GCSE's are good..but i'm kinda thinking in cambridge terms... i went to cambridge for a trip and really loved it there... however nottingham has got my attention too

any way... thanks again, they were great replys?

anybody else?

jay

ReputationRep:
    What course are you thinking of applying for? Even if they are lower than usual for cambridge, the interview could give you a chance to prove yourself- I think that wuld be a bigger advantage than an extra A level.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah good point...

I wanna study Law, i think if i got to interview i should be ok beacuse i have done 2 work experince placements,read tons of books, went to a conference, and basically i have a huge interest in law

thanks

jay

Yeah good point...

I wanna study Law, i think if i got to interview i should be ok beacuse i have done 2 work experince placements,read tons of books, went to a conference, and basically i have a huge interest in law

thanks

jay

you might have difficulty with your choice of a level subjects, if you do choose to drop a subject then sociologyis definetly what should go for and perhaps take up a more 'respected' subject for as, maths maybe, as this will give you a far greater chance with something like law. if AAA is out of the question then i would not bother wasting ucas choices on both cambridge and nottingham

ReputationRep:
    wow! i didn't expect that reply...

all my teachers have said that i could easily get 4 a's at alevel if i wanted them, and i dont know what i would get at general studies?

drop sociology for maths, for law? that is the strangist suggestion... Sociology is a essay based subject, and in a2 we look at crime and deviance... wouldn't it make more sense to continue with this, instead of following maths that is not law based at all.

thanks for your reply

jay

Do 3 or 4 A-levels depending on your AS grades. Don't bother with general studies, most unis don't care too much about it so it'll just waste your time. Hope your results are OK

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 5, but purely because I don't know what to drop and I think I can do well in them all. Don't bother with GS though, it's not often included in any offers and isn't taken very seriously. Do 4 if you think you can get good grades in them all, but remember AAA is better than AABB. Good luck for results day too!

ReputationRep:
    Be a man and go for four.

ReputationRep:
    lol...thanks guys

i think i will stick with 4, and yeah, maybe i should just leave general studies.

thanks again

jay

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking at Cambridge, Nottingham etc, then your offers would say "x grades at y subjects (except General Studies). So don't bother taking up General Studies.

ReputationRep:
    4 will give you an edge. Then again, I am not sure if there is a Mickey mouse factor involved with some of your subjects Sure they are right for cam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    4 will give you an edge. Then again, I am not sure if there is a Mickey mouse factor involved with some of your subjects Sure they are right for cam?
    I was thinking the same thing... I don't want to have to say this but your a-level choices will probably put you at quite a big disadvantage. Of course, I might be wrong, but I spoke to lots of admission tutors when I applied to Uni and there is quite a huge difference between, for example, Physics and Psychology. Additionally, this will be amplified when you apply to a uni like Cambridge for a subject like Law.

wow! i didn't expect that reply...

all my teachers have said that i could easily get 4 a's at alevel if i wanted them, and i dont know what i would get at general studies?

drop sociology for maths, for law? that is the strangist suggestion... Sociology is a essay based subject, and in a2 we look at crime and deviance... wouldn't it make more sense to continue with this, instead of following maths that is not law based at all.

thanks for your reply

jay
    yeah sorry if it seemed harsh but dude, business studies and sociology are *easy* and cambridge et al know this. friends who applied for law with non-traditional subjects such as maths or sciences got far more offers, it seems wrong as being good as maths wouldnt necessarily mean you would excel at an essay based subject such as law but i guess it shows academic ability.

i did economics, geography, politics and psych and walked A's, they just *arent* hard.

general studies is pointless but i think perhaps sheffield(?) accepts it so maybe you could take that up too :shrug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)

general studies is pointless but i think perhaps sheffield(?) accepts it so maybe you could take that up too :shrug:
    On that note, my friend got into Sheffield for Law doing two of the lesser respected subjects- sociology and law, (with english), so maybe you should look into a couple of Unis similar to Sheffield.

Also apprantly the main reason she got rejected from Nottingham and Manchester was her GCSE grades, which were mostlys Bs- (I think manchester actually told her that when she rung up). It sucks really, but that's how competative law is.

ReputationRep:
    There's some good advice already been given regarding the 'mickey mouse' factor of your A level choices. If you look at the oxbridge info site http://oa.waveflex.com/ you will find that there is a distinct lack of mickey mousiness about the subject choices of the successful candidates! In fact for law there seems to be a tendency to favour those candidates who combine maths with traditional essay subjects like history, english or economics (showing good all round ability I guess).
    The suggestion of Sheffield is a good one, or perhaps Leicester as they both have strong law depts but are not as popular as places like Nottingham or Bristol. If you are serious about Cambridge then the suggestion someone made to drop the sociology for maths is sensible, or even better drop sociology and business studies and do a full A level maths in one year! If you cant stand maths choose english or history, and do critical thinking instead of general studies.

ReputationRep:
    The reason I wish to do this is because my GCSE
    results were extremely poor (4 A's, 5 B's C D)
    You call them poor? If you had got my results, you'd have died of shock.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.