The Student Room Group

Finished second year with a third

Long story short, had a really tough year, didn't go into any lectures or seminars, didn't study, just did some reading the night before and went into my exams, so I passed, but with a third.

My second year was worth 30%, so what would I have to achieve to get a 2:1 or a 1st (if possible) in my third year?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Leah-xx
Long story short, had a really tough year, didn't go into any lectures or seminars, didn't study, just did some reading the night before and went into my exams, so I passed, but with a third.

My second year was worth 30%, so what would I have to achieve to get a 2:1 or a 1st (if possible) in my third year?

Thanks.

Assumptions:
- Your first year doesn't contribute to your final degree
- Your grade boundaries are 60-69.9% 2:1 and 70%+ for a First
- There are no limitations, such as having to pass your dissertation with a First in order to be eligible for a First as your degree grade

You don't give your second year result, but if you got 45%, you would need to average 81% in your third year in order to get a First. You can probably kiss that goodbye. To scrape a 2:1 you would need to average 67%. That might be a more realistic goal.
In addition to Klix's sensible analysis you should also read the departmental rules on grade calcculations as they could make it easier for you.

If you had a really tough year then you should consider seeing whether there was any opportunity for getting extenuating circumstances into consideration.
If this is so, then I would make that application.
That may then open up the opportunity for you to resit the exams or retake the year.

If I were in your position then that is what I would do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending