Do you always have to resit the same unit?

Watch
archipelaglobule
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
If I were to resit a unit from a GCSE short course (in which there are many units, only 1 of which needs to be taken), would I have to resit the same unit as the one I did initially? Or could I choose a different one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
fatima1998
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by archipelaglobule)
If I were to resit a unit from a GCSE short course (in which there are many units, only 1 of which needs to be taken), would I have to resit the same unit as the one I did initially? Or could I choose a different one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
i think you have to resit the whole GCSE subject :yep: e.g. for science there are 6 topics and 3 exams so you can't pick 3 topics for resit, you have to resit the whole subject again
archipelaglobule
Rep:
?
I meant for a short course with only 1 unit. However, it does have multiple units that you could potentially take, you just pick one. Any ideas on whether you can do a different unit for the resit than you did first time around?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why would you bother to re-sit a short course GCSE?
chemistrynerd13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I meant for a short course with only 1 unit. However, it does have multiple units that you could potentially take, you just pick one. Any ideas on whether you can do a different unit for the resit than you did first time around?
I think you can do that if you want to teach yourself the course. I would anyway is there is a better or easier unit. Although I don't think I would be classified as a resit as it isn't the exact same unit. Just ask the exams officer to enter you and you'll be fine. What subject is it? R.E?

Posted from TSR Mobile
archipelaglobule
Rep:
?
Yeah, R.E. I'm wondering whether it's worth doing the course at all (this year, Y11), as I want to apply to a top university - but other than excellent GCSE predicted grades, I certainly need more things to put on my application. I'm unsure though - if I get an A/B in a short course and A*s in everything else, it might not look good? Also, the resit (which I asked about) might interfere very slightly with A-levels next year.
chemistrynerd13
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've got an idea.. How about you resit the unit that you were previously doing so you are likely going to get A/A* as you already covered the content. Then sit the new exam as well and revise for it and then you are awarded a grade for the full course. Especially for R.E- it doesn't need too much revision so don't worry about it affecting your a levels. I'm personally resitting biology if I get an A so I get as many A*s as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, R.E. I'm wondering whether it's worth doing the course at all (this year, Y11), as I want to apply to a top university - but other than excellent GCSE predicted grades, I certainly need more things to put on my application. I'm unsure though - if I get an A/B in a short course and A*s in everything else, it might not look good? Also, the resit (which I asked about) might interfere very slightly with A-levels next year.
Universities will not care if you take another GCSE in Y12. Concentrate on your A levels instead.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (322)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (250)
43.71%

Watched Threads