Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I were to resit a unit from a GCSE short course (in which there are many units, only 1 of which needs to be taken), would I have to resit the same unit as the one I did initially? Or could I choose a different one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archipelaglobule)
    If I were to resit a unit from a GCSE short course (in which there are many units, only 1 of which needs to be taken), would I have to resit the same unit as the one I did initially? Or could I choose a different one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    i think you have to resit the whole GCSE subject :yep: e.g. for science there are 6 topics and 3 exams so you can't pick 3 topics for resit, you have to resit the whole subject again

ReputationRep:
    I meant for a short course with only 1 unit. However, it does have multiple units that you could potentially take, you just pick one. Any ideas on whether you can do a different unit for the resit than you did first time around?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you bother to re-sit a short course GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    I meant for a short course with only 1 unit. However, it does have multiple units that you could potentially take, you just pick one. Any ideas on whether you can do a different unit for the resit than you did first time around?
    I think you can do that if you want to teach yourself the course. I would anyway is there is a better or easier unit. Although I don't think I would be classified as a resit as it isn't the exact same unit. Just ask the exams officer to enter you and you'll be fine. What subject is it? R.E?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, R.E. I'm wondering whether it's worth doing the course at all (this year, Y11), as I want to apply to a top university - but other than excellent GCSE predicted grades, I certainly need more things to put on my application. I'm unsure though - if I get an A/B in a short course and A*s in everything else, it might not look good? Also, the resit (which I asked about) might interfere very slightly with A-levels next year.

ReputationRep:
    I've got an idea.. How about you resit the unit that you were previously doing so you are likely going to get A/A* as you already covered the content. Then sit the new exam as well and revise for it and then you are awarded a grade for the full course. Especially for R.E- it doesn't need too much revision so don't worry about it affecting your a levels. I'm personally resitting biology if I get an A so I get as many A*s as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, R.E. I'm wondering whether it's worth doing the course at all (this year, Y11), as I want to apply to a top university - but other than excellent GCSE predicted grades, I certainly need more things to put on my application. I'm unsure though - if I get an A/B in a short course and A*s in everything else, it might not look good? Also, the resit (which I asked about) might interfere very slightly with A-levels next year.
    Universities will not care if you take another GCSE in Y12. Concentrate on your A levels instead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.