Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Next year I plan to study Chemistry,Biology,Maths and History for A-level. I was also interested in studying politics as a fifth A-level but my school does not run the course so I would have to self-study. This would be alongside an EPQ qualification in year 12. Do you guys think that this would be manageable with the subjects I've chosen, considering I also work part-time at about 8 hours a week.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyer24)
    Next year I plan to study Chemistry,Biology,Maths and History for A-level. I was also interested in studying politics as a fifth A-level but my school does not run the course so I would have to self-study. This would be alongside an EPQ qualification in year 12. Do you guys think that this would be manageable with the subjects I've chosen, considering I also work part-time at about 8 hours a week.
    If I am being honest, probably not.

When I took politics it was about the debates and the discussion with others in my class which got everyone thinking and doing the real learning.

I think that you would struggle to do it on your own regardless of your other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amingo26)
    If I am being honest, probably not.

When I took politics it was about the debates and the discussion with others in my class which got everyone thinking and doing the real learning.

I think that you would struggle to do it on your own regardless of your other subjects.
    Fair enough, did you find that personally that was what made the most impact upon your learning, or was that more of a general consensus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flyer24)
    Fair enough, did you find that personally that was what made the most impact upon your learning, or was that more of a general consensus?
    I have always been quite independent and formed view on my own (whether these were right, wrong or socially accepted) so you could say I have always though the same things.

Being able to discuss politics and have debates opens your eyes and really made a difference to my learning because obviously the examiners could ask you about anything, not just what you know or believe in so knowing the viewpoints and arguments of others is a good thing!

Yes, you may be able to find things online but having a professional there (in this case a tutor or teacher) could help guide the debates in a way that is beneficial and lines up with the curriculum.

A levels are much harder than GCSE and you would have to put in an incredible amount of effort to teach yourself and succeed. It isn't like GCSE where everything is available to you, simple and you understand everything. It's hard and (from my experience) you would need a lot of support.

However, if you think you could do it... go for it!

Have you tried looking at colleges near you that offer what you want to do? Might be time to leave school perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not, not sustainable at all.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.