Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone
    On July 3rd I'm moving into my second year house which is not bills included. I'm living with 6 other people but none of them are arriving until september. Obviously this leaves me in a position of having to pay all the bills for 2 months . I need to know a few things, A. Will there be running water and all that when I get there or will nothing be running until I've set it up bills. B. How do I actually go about setting up bills, like do I need to choose suppliers and all this stuff C. How will I do this if the house doesn't have wi-fi going through it (as it hasnt been paid for) and D. Will it be easy to change it in september so everyone pays the bills, as I dont fancy paying everyone's bills

Sorry for the many questions but I really am clueless. All my mates have bills included so don't have to deal with this rubbish. I'm looking for advice from someone who has experience of setting all this stuff up ideally. And don't worry about sounding patronising, go through everything because I know literally nothing

Cheers x

ReputationRep:
    Btw I have contacted the landlord about this stuff but to say he has been useless would be something of an understatement. He never answers the phone and responds to his emails with generic pre-written statements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libertine828)
    Hi everyone
    On July 3rd I'm moving into my second year house which is not bills included. I'm living with 6 other people but none of them are arriving until september. Obviously this leaves me in a position of having to pay all the bills for 2 months . I need to know a few things, A. Will there be running water and all that when I get there or will nothing be running until I've set it up bills. B. How do I actually go about setting up bills, like do I need to choose suppliers and all this stuff C. How will I do this if the house doesn't have wi-fi going through it (as it hasnt been paid for) and D. Will it be easy to change it in september so everyone pays the bills, as I dont fancy paying everyone's bills

Sorry for the many questions but I really am clueless. All my mates have bills included so don't have to deal with this rubbish. I'm looking for advice from someone who has experience of setting all this stuff up ideally. And don't worry about sounding patronising, go through everything because I know literally nothing

Cheers x
    Firstly, yes, water will be running. Secondly when it comes to setting up bills you need to make phone calls to say 'I've just moved into this house, I'd like to set up an account' you are usually then encouraged to set up a direct debit where a set amount money is taken from your account each month by the relevant companies. Who to phone? Well water is pretty straightforward, each region only has one water board, if you google for example York Water Board UK for example the first link is to Yorkshire Water, so if you were in York you'd phone them. You'll need to look and see if there is a water meter, if so you'll need to give a reading of that.

Electricity & gas is a trickier one. You need to find out which company the house is with, if you can't contact the old tenants then you may need to phone around companies until you find out which one its with. Most houses are usually with one of the big 6 (google big 6 energy suppliers and you'll see who I mean), and especially student houses where students are less likely to change suppliers. When you've found the supplier the house account is with you either stay with them, in which case you need to read the electricity and gas meters and give your details to start a new account, or you can leave if you think you can find a better deal (not 100% sure how leaving works tbh). And with internet its a case of picking a provider, deciding how many MB's you want and booking a slot for it to be installed, its generally easier if you do that online either before you leave or even in the uni library. So the best thing to do is look up phone numbers online before you leave and make a note of them, maybe even make the calls to find which gas & electricity provider you are with first too.

Do be warned paying for all the bills yourself will be pretty expensive. The typically quoted figure is £40 per person per month although that would be a bit lower split between 7 of you and you can save a bit being on your own. Unless you organise payment with a company like split the bills which you'd have to do from the moment you set the bills up (and they charge) then one person has to pay each bill and just chase other housemates up for the money. Normally what students do is split bills between them, so one person has gas & electric, one water, one internet so that all the burden to pay doesn't just fall on one person.

ReputationRep:
    Everything should be turned on and ready for you to use, although your landlord should be able to confirm that.

When I've moved I've had a letter shortly after from the various companies asking me to set up a direct debit. You should take meter readings when you move in. You can chose to change suppliers if you find a good deal, if not you'll automatically have an account set up at the current supplier. You won't have internet straight away as you have to have a router posted and it can take a couple of weeks to get a connection date - you should think about this quickly if you want internet when you move in or soon after.

I don't know how easy it will be to change the names on various bills down the line, could you not allocate everyone a bill and then give people money to cover the summer?

ReputationRep:
    Alright thanks to you both for responding. It seems as though it will be simpler than I thought it might be. The one thing I'm still quite concerned with is internet. Will there be no internet when I move in? Doesn't it take weeks to get one set up aswell? I can't realistically live without internet for 6 weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by libertine828)
    Alright thanks to you both for responding. It seems as though it will be simpler than I thought it might be. The one thing I'm still quite concerned with is internet. Will there be no internet when I move in? Doesn't it take weeks to get one set up aswell? I can't realistically live without internet for 6 weeks
    If the previous residents contract has ended then no there won't be. It shouldn't take as long as 6 weeks, maybe one or two depending on how many slots are free. Do it now and thats less days to wait. And as I said you can always go to the uni library for internet, at this time of year it should be relatively empty.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.