Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Euromarts have been appearing left, right and centre in towns across the country over the last few years, with the EU flag plastered on the front of many of them. Is it inevitable that, in a soon to be non-EU country, these shops will close down, especially given the uncertain futures of their EU citizen customers?

ReputationRep:
    Some of them will go others will have to change customer catchment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATW1)
    Euromarts have been appearing left, right and centre in towns across the country over the last few years, with the EU flag plastered on the front of many of them. Is it inevitable that, in a soon to be non-EU country, these shops will close down, especially given the uncertain futures of their EU citizen customers?
    I hope not, I love Polish bread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATW1)
    Just because half the population don't feel European doesn't mean the other half can't. I feel pretty European. I certainly have more in common with more moderate and open minded Europeans than many of the xenophobic, Little Islanders that have come to the fore of late. In fact, I feel that our own flag has been hijacked somewhat. I would certainly never wave a Union Jack as whenever I see one, it is usually held by some right-wing thug from the BNP or Britain First.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Just because half the population don't feel European doesn't mean the other half can't. I feel pretty European. I certainly have more in common with more moderate and open minded Europeans than many of the xenophobic, Little Islanders that have come to the fore of late. In fact, I feel that our own flag has been hijacked somewhat. I would certainly never wave a Union Jack as whenever I see one, it is usually held by some right-wing thug from the BNP or Britain First.
    You would never wave your country's flag? How very patriotic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATW1)
    You would never wave your country's flag? How very patriotic.
    Why am I less of a person for not being patriotic? Everything patriotism stands for makes me sick. It is about identifying us as opposed to them and usually with superiority in mind.

I prefer to see us as all equal.

We complain about them foreigners coming here, taking our jobs. But maybe they get our jobs because they are better than us. Yet we protest because there is an inherent feeling of privilege that we should be allowed to do a sh1t job simply because we are British.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.