Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm currently in year 10 and taking my finals next year. I am not sure how to revise. I have bought revision guides for some of my subjects.

Also how can I store my revision notes and stuff because I don't want pieces of paper everywhere

ReputationRep:
    Most people just re-write everything in the revision guide in their own words. A lot of people make flashcards which I definitely recommend. You can double up your notes as flash cards by dividing each page into 2 section (1:3 ratio) and writing questions on the LHS relating to what's written on the RHS. Then when it comes to revision, test yourself by covering up the RHS and try to answer the questions on the LHS. Does that make sense? That was a really bad explanation ahah

Also- PAST PAPER everyone says this but trust me they're the best revision method

ReputationRep:
    Revision guides is a good start, this will condense the information you learn in class!
    My revision style normally consists of first making notes from the text book and revision guides and condensing it all into a simple format which makes it easier to take in the information. By writing the the notes you also start to take in the information.
    Then I start going through these notes and at first I will try to answer questions with the aid of my notes if I need it, maybe revision book and textbook questions.
    Then I start to do past papers and these are helpful as it does not only help you learn and apply the information in proper exam questions but it gets you used to the exam format. I will refer to my notes if I need to but at this point I try to stop using my notes as much as possible. Make sure to check answers with the mark scheme to ensure you are aware of what examiners are looking for.
    It depends on how much note taking you do, you may need separate folders for each subject or maybe a big leaver arch with dividers to separate each subject.

(Original post by goam)
    Most people just re-write everything in the revision guide in their own words. A lot of people make flashcards which I definitely recommend. You can double up your notes as flash cards by dividing each page into 2 section (1:3 ratio) and writing questions on the LHS relating to what's written on the RHS. Then when it comes to revision, test yourself by covering up the RHS and try to answer the questions on the LHS. Does that make sense? That was a really bad explanation ahah

Also- PAST PAPER everyone says this but trust me they're the best revision method
    Thanks it sounds so simple but I just cant revise!

I do:
    OCR graphics
    OCR history
    AQA Business & communication systems
    OCR computing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack_Tomlin)
    Thanks it sounds so simple but I just cant revise!

I do:
    OCR graphics
    OCR history
    AQA Business & communication systems
    OCR computing
    You can!! Literally just do anything revision related to get you started aha, anything is better than nothing. I've never done any of those subjects (apart from history up to year 9 ) so I'm not really sure what the best methods are for those particular subjects

(Original post by goam)
    You can!! Literally just do anything revision related to get you started aha, anything is better than nothing. I've never done any of those subjects (apart from history up to year 9 ) so I'm not really sure what the best methods are for those particular subjects

Ok thank you!

Any advice on maths as I am the first year group to do the new maths (9-1) gcse next year in 2017?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you!

Any advice on maths as I am the first year group to do the new maths (9-1) gcse next year in 2017?
    Examsolutions!!! Search him on YT (he also has a website) Or Hegartymaths.
    And again, past papers are a must (I know the course is different but often not much changes, perhaps print out a few from previous years and ask your teacher to cross out the questions not related to your current course?)

(Original post by goam)
    Examsolutions!!! Search him on YT (he also has a website) Or Hegartymaths.
    And again, past papers are a must (I know the course is different but often not much changes, perhaps print out a few from previous years and ask your teacher to cross out the questions not related to your current course?)
    Thanks!

Ps. You wouldn't know where I could find a mark scheme for Edexcel core science higher tier as I done these exams back in May. This was my first exam ever so I don't like the long wait until results day!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Ps. You wouldn't know where I could find a mark scheme for Edexcel core science higher tier as I done these exams back in May. This was my first exam ever so I don't like the long wait until results day!
    Should be easy to find if you just Google it, I'm not sure what exact one you're doing, sorry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.