Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

After hanging around with certain people I feel depressed ? Watch

I'm naturally an introvert when I'm in public but when someone gets to know me personally, I'm a lot more relaxed and bubbly.

However recently I've been hanging around with loud girls who are always banterous and make sarcastic comments about everything and sometimes they are directing it at me. When I'm put on the spot my mind goes blank and my voice brakes. Deep down I get abit sensitive even though I don't tend to show it. These girls are the attention seeking types and a lot of people suck up to them because of these traits. You either love them or hate them. They can sense that I feel really awkward around with them and it makes it worst when they point it out and make it obvious by looking at me deep in the eye like they know what I'm thinking. When I come back home after a long day I feel depressed, I don't feel right at all. I try not to think about it but it does affect me in some way. Has anyone ever felt this way before ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm naturally an introvert when I'm in public but when someone gets to know me personally, I'm a lot more relaxed and bubbly.

However recently I've been hanging around with loud girls who are always banterous and make sarcastic comments about everything and sometimes they are directing it at me. When I'm put on the spot my mind goes blank and my voice brakes. Deep down I get abit sensitive even though I don't tend to show it. These girls are the attention seeking types and a lot of people suck up to them because of these traits. You either love them or hate them. They can sense that I feel really awkward around with them and it makes it worst when they point it out and make it obvious by looking at me deep in the eye like they know what I'm thinking. When I come back home after a long day I feel depressed, I don't feel right at all. I try not to think about it but it does affect me in some way. Has anyone ever felt this way before ?

I experienced this feeling myself occasionally during my school years. The feeling started to fade away when I started to socialize people who shares the same interest as me. Perhaps that's something you might need to do
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I'm naturally an introvert when I'm in public but when someone gets to know me personally, I'm a lot more relaxed and bubbly.However recently I've been hanging around with loud girls who are always banterous and make sarcastic comments about everything and sometimes they are directing it at me. When I'm put on the spot my mind goes blank and my voice brakes. Deep down I get abit sensitive even though I don't tend to show it. These girls are the attention seeking types and a lot of people suck up to them because of these traits. You either love them or hate them. They can sense that I feel really awkward around with them and it makes it worst when they point it out and make it obvious by looking at me deep in the eye like they know what I'm thinking. When I come back home after a long day I feel depressed, I don't feel right at all. I try not to think about it but it does affect me in some way. Has anyone ever felt this way before ?

I felt like that before right before and after my ex and I broke up. As we both were introverted and part of a bigger Skype group where everyone played games and talked and stuff like that, my depression kicked in towards the latter moments of our relationship when she stopped talking to me and distanced herself from everyone without explaining why (along other personal things). So a different situation but very same effects. The way I dealt with this is that I left that Skype group... well not entirely, but just took a break from it and still am (after 8 months) in order to still avoid her so to speak before I'm prepared and have time to come back to it. I still keep in touch with some of my friends in there but I've gotten much better when I started hanging out more with my other friends and did my own things. Similarly I suppose you can try and distance yourself from those girls gradually by taking a break and hanging out with other friends or start doing your own things that you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like their not your sort of people, I suggest trying to find people who you have things in common with. If hanging around with them makes you feel negative, then stop being around them.

ReputationRep:
    You should never be hanging around with people that bring you down.

Distance yourself.

(Original post by Bear_123)
    I experienced this feeling myself occasionally during my school years. The feeling started to fade away when I started to socialize people who shares the same interest as me. Perhaps that's something you might need to do
    Me and them are on the same course and do share some similar interest, it's just that there is a personality crash and I'm the type of girl that gets easily embarrassed and I already suffer from abit of social anxiety so when attention is drawn on us, I feel really awkward and out of place. I am very ladylike with the way I behave and I don't want to be associated with their mouthiness in public and the way they carry themselves but they are nice people deep down.

(Original post by goam)
    Sounds like their not your sort of people, I suggest trying to find people who you have things in common with. If hanging around with them makes you feel negative, then stop being around them.
    Yeah I guess not, they're my uni friends and I don't generally hang around with them at uni but when we bump at work we are the only ones that know each other so inclined to hang around with them. I guess even at work I should distant myself.

(Original post by RDKGames)
    I felt like that before right before and after my ex and I broke up. As we both were introverted and part of a bigger Skype group where everyone played games and talked and stuff like that, my depression kicked in towards the latter moments of our relationship when she stopped talking to me and distanced herself from everyone without explaining why (along other personal things). So a different situation but very same effects. The way I dealt with this is that I left that Skype group... well not entirely, but just took a break from it and still am (after 8 months) in order to still avoid her so to speak before I'm prepared and have time to come back to it. I still keep in touch with some of my friends in there but I've gotten much better when I started hanging out more with my other friends and did my own things. Similarly I suppose you can try and distance yourself from those girls gradually by taking a break and hanging out with other friends or start doing your own things that you enjoy.
    I'm sorry to hear that
    I am similar to you and agree with every word you said.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess not, they're my uni friends and I don't generally hang around with them at uni but when we bump at work we are the only ones that know each other so inclined to hang around with them. I guess even at work I should distant myself.
    It's great that you have other friends, perhaps hang out with them more often? & maybe before distancing yourself telling them how you feel (only if you feel comfortable doing this) and see if they change their behaviour/attitude?

(Original post by goam)
    It's great that you have other friends, perhaps hang out with them more often? & maybe before distancing yourself telling them how you feel (only if you feel comfortable doing this) and see if they change their behaviour/attitude?
    I would've if it was that easy to open up, I don't like to show my weakness and tell them how they make me feel. It makes me feel like Im really sensitive and they will see me in a different light. I don't easily open up. I sometimes act oblivious to what they say and what goes around me and believe it didn't happen to help me get through. We are just opposite and I believe not everyone clicks in life.

The thing is at first I'm tempted to act confident and fake it till I make it but in the end I'm just filled with resentment because I know this isn't the real me nor I can ever fit in so I shouldn't be trying hard in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I would've if it was that easy to open up, I don't like to show my weakness and tell them how they make me feel. It makes me feel like Im really sensitive and they will see me in a different light. I don't easily open up. I sometimes act oblivious to what they say and what goes around me and believe it didn't happen to help me get through. We are just opposite and I believe not everyone clicks in life.

The thing is at first I'm tempted to act confident and fake it till I make it but in the end I'm just filled with resentment because I know this isn't the real me nor I can ever fit in so I shouldn't be trying hard in the first place.
    Yeah I'm like that as well but there's absolutely thing wrong with being 'sensitive' - never let anybody make you think that what you feel is wrong. Maybe you shouldn't confront them about it then. If they are making feel that way I really think you'd be better off without them. Good luck, it sounds like a tough situation since you're working with them. Hope it works out :hugs:
    Feel free to message me if you want someone to talk to or just want to vent!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.