Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

There needs to be a second referendum watch

ReputationRep:
    ..... after deals have been negotiated and people actually know what Brexit means. People who voted Leave voted 'We don't know what this means but YOLO'. How can you even hold a referendum without having any idea of what one of the options entails? It was a completely ridiculous idea...

It's only reasonable and logical that there is a second referendum where people can decide whether they want Brexit based on actual facts, not '350 million for the NHS a week!!!! LOL jk'

To the ***** who are screaming about how remain are trying to overturn democracy or whatever, the referendum is not legally binding, therefore Parliament could just ignore the results and there wouldnt be anything undemocratic about it.

Also lets not forget

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/rememb...endum-5963900/

He said it. I hope everyone will be reminding him about this on social media 24/7 from now on. What a ****ing ****.

ReputationRep:
    ZzzzzzZZZZZzzzz
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    ..... after deals have been negotiated and people actually know what Brexit means. People who voted Leave voted 'We don't know what this means but YOLO'. How can you even hold a referendum without having any idea of what one of the options entails? It was a completely ridiculous idea...

It's only reasonable and logical that there is a second referendum where people can decide whether they want Brexit based on actual facts, not '350 million for the NHS a week!!!! LOL jk'

To the ***** who are screaming about how remain are trying to overturn democracy or whatever, the referendum is not legally binding, therefore Parliament could just ignore the results and there wouldnt be anything undemocratic about it.

Also lets not forget

http://metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/rememb...endum-5963900/

He said it. I hope everyone will be reminding him about this on social media 24/7 from now on. What a ****ing ****.
    As I pointed out in another similar thread here, what happens IF we do get a second referendum AND get the same result? A third, fourth, fifth, sixth referendum...

ReputationRep:
    One of the things that makes me laugh is thinking about the fact that Brexiters would be campaigning for a second referendum because of Nigel Farage's closeness comment, if the result was a remain.

I think Brexiters are scared of the result of a second referendum after seeing the pound drop in the way it did and the possible Scottish referendum and Northern Ireland joining the Republic of Ireland. I think it would be a pretty clear remain vote for those reasons (and the fear of Michael Gove possibly becoming PM is scary enough anyway).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    As I pointed out in another similar thread here, what happens IF we do get a second referendum AND get the same result? A third, fourth, fifth, sixth referendum...
    Why would that lead to other referendums? If people vote Leave based on facts after everything has been negotiated then people will actually know what they are voting for and if they decide that they want to leave, then obviously the UK should leave.

ReputationRep:
    Just repeating the arguments of the last two days with slightly different words doesn't make it right, you know?

1. Farage said nothing about a second referendum. He said "unfinished business", which some people are deciding to interpret as a second referendum - but do you really want to say that you know exactly what he's thinking?
    2. When he said that politicians on both sides of the vote said "no, one referendum, that's it".

There won't be improved deals. There won't be any leeway given by the EU. They don't want to encourage anyone else doing the same thing. It's over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    One of the things that makes me laugh is thinking about the fact that Brexiters would be campaigning for a second referendum because of Nigel Farage's closeness comment, if the result was a remain.
    And they would be all 'THE REFERENDUM WAS RIGGED'
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why would that lead to other referendums? If people vote Leave based on facts after everything has been negotiated then people will actually know what they are voting for and if they decide that they want to leave, then obviously the UK should leave.
    Well you can ask the younger generation about initiating a second referendum , because after all they are the ones who are in a VERY sore mood.
    Just watched Question Time earlier a woman in the audience asked my question.

ReputationRep:
    Well you can ask the younger generation about initiating a second referendum , because after all they are the ones who are in a VERY sore mood.
    Just watched Question Time earlier a woman in the audience asked my question.
    16 year olds should have been allowed to vote, this is not about grandmas future after all.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    16 year olds should have been allowed to vote, this is not about grandmas future after all.
    True to an extent, but older generation has a right to vote too. They have paid taxes most of their lives.

ReputationRep:
    True to an extent, but older generation has a right to vote too. They have paid taxes most of their lives.
    I never said they didn't have a right to vote so I don't see your point.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't have mattered.

The margin of victory was 1.3m, there are 1.4m 16&17yr olds. The turnout was 72% (it was actually much less among the 18-24 age group, but we'll give you benefit of the doubt).

72% of 1.4m is not >1.3m.

The result would have been the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Wouldn't have mattered.

The margin of victory was 1.3m, there are 1.4m 16&17yr olds. The turnout was 72% (it was actually much less among the 18-24 age group, but we'll give you benefit of the doubt).

72% of 1.4m is not >1.3m.

The result would have been the same.
    That doesn't change the fact that 16 year olds should've been allowed to vote on their long term future.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.