Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on dying my hair a deep green colour. I plan to use Manic Panic hair dye (green envy or enchanted forest) but my hair has never been dyed before and it's a dark brown colour.
    What colour dye is best to use, brands and will it actually work?
    All advice appreciated thanks!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by thnksfrthvnm)
    I'm planning on dying my hair a deep green colour. I plan to use Manic Panic hair dye (green envy or enchanted forest) but my hair has never been dyed before and it's a dark brown colour.
    What colour dye is best to use, brands and will it actually work?
    All advice appreciated thanks!
    As manic panic is a vegetable dye, it wont work at all unless you bleached your hair first, sorry, and if you want to do that be prepared for the damage and upkeep needed. I had a summer of coloured streaks and it literally needed topping up on a weekly basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    As manic panic is a vegetable dye, it wont work at all unless you bleached your hair first, sorry, and if you want to do that be prepared for the damage and upkeep needed. I had a summer of coloured streaks and it literally needed topping up on a weekly basis.
    Ah I see, I don't plan on going crazy and keeping it for a long time maybe a few weeks to see what its like. But thanks a lot for your help, are there any brands you'd recommend?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Ah I see, I don't plan on going crazy and keeping it for a long time maybe a few weeks to see what its like. But thanks a lot for your help, are there any brands you'd recommend?
    Manic panic is the longest lasting of them all supposedly. If you do end up bleaching your hair, you'd need 30% bleach and purple shampoo, and be willing to risk some falling out and needing a deep condition. (i've had 3 inches cut of my hair after the damage i did it from being blonde last summer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Manic panic is the longest lasting of them all supposedly. If you do end up bleaching your hair, you'd need 30% bleach and purple shampoo, and be willing to risk some falling out and needing a deep condition. (i've had 3 inches cut of my hair after the damage i did it from being blonde last summer)
    Hm, sounds a little too high maintenance since I have pretty thin hair anyways... I may re consider dying after all. Thank you for you help though, much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how vibrant you want the colour. I dip-dyed my hair pink once without bleaching it and once with (I naturally have dirty blond hair), you can really tell the difference. However I used a LOreal semi permanent and it lasted for ages. It took about 10 weeks to get out and would've been easy for me to do again. If you're up for the risk, personally I think it's trail and error. Some products work better on different hair types.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Hm, sounds a little too high maintenance since I have pretty thin hair anyways... I may re consider dying after all. Thank you for you help though, much appreciated!
    You could always go for streaks or dip dye as a compromise, you can also change it up every few weeks that way if you wanted, or go back to your natural colour without too much damage if need be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.