Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    anyone know why American studies at Warwick uni was stopped?
    I was really interested in this course and went to the open day to find out it had been discontinued :/ makes me worried that if i do the course at another uni it will be less highly regarded

ReputationRep:
    Call up and ask, could be staff or student turn out issues?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali234)
    anyone know why American studies at Warwick uni was stopped?
    I was really interested in this course and went to the open day to find out it had been discontinued :/ makes me worried that if i do the course at another uni it will be less highly regarded
    I suspect because all the rich posh privileged girls who do the course eventually realised the job propsects are sh*t and decided to go a degree that would better be able to help them maintain their parents love and concern, and most importantly the cash spoon feeding they have depended on their whole lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Probably due to low student turn out numbers.American studies is a niche course, and Warwick probably found it unjustifiable to continue the course.

ReputationRep:
    I'd guess most people that are serious about American Studies find it easier to take the course at an American University, and prefer the immersion along with having professors more likely to have experienced American culture first-hand.

On top of that, a lot of people probably aren't interested in American Studies because British people are already exposed to American culture all the time in the form of movies and books. And you probably find it hard to avoid us online because you speak English... which means you may very well be familiar with American culture to the point of knowing what the Fifth Amendment is, whether you wanted to be or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Esoteric-)
    I suspect because all the rich posh privileged girls who do the course eventually realised the job propsects are sh*t and decided to go a degree that would better be able to help them maintain their parents love and concern, and most importantly the cash spoon feeding they have depended on their whole lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No need to be rude, I am simply interested in this course because I like both history and English and it seems like a good merge. What about a history degree with American studies as a joint honours? Obviously I still want good career prospects but I need to be interested in the course I do aswell.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.