Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK food prices set to rise, says National Farmers Union Watch

ReputationRep:
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-farmers-union

Oh dear oh dear, who could have predicted this?

And? Income may rise, so it will cancel it out

ReputationRep:
    Nah National Farmers Union get subsidies from EU so are just scaremongering like all of the experts out there; clearly. We'll get dirt cheap food, and farmers will get super rich at same time too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by govandpolitics)
    And? Income may rise, so it will cancel it out
    But will it rise enough to cancel out is the issue being presented by OP (i think)

(Original post by swanderfeild)
    Nah National Farmers Union get subsidies from EU so are just scaremongering like all of the experts out there; clearly. We'll get dirt cheap food, and farmers will get super rich at same time too!
    Right, and you came to that conclusion how exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)
    But will it rise enough to cancel out is the issue being presented by OP (i think)

No external tariff to all those non-EU farmers;
    Increase in competition;
    Drive down food prices;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRFT8)

That was sarcasm; I'd hoped the dig at experts would be good indication.

ReputationRep:
    Remainians still bitter so are resorting to fear-mongering?

ReputationRep:
    "George Eustice, who has come out in favour of leaving the EU, said the British government would still support farming financially but would paint an entirely different picture, with no “bonkers” regulations placed on farmers.
    Currently, Brussels red tape means the more land farmers - or just landowners renting out to farmers - own, the more subsidies they receive.
    This means many tenant farmers receive nothing from the bloc through the Single Farm Payment (SFP) and lots of landowners, some who are multi-millionaires already, get thousands of pounds in benefits.
    Some professional landowners are receiving cheques of more than £1million from the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP), which governs 12m farmers across the EU.
    The UK currently gives the EU £6billion a year towards the CAP, but only £3bn gets back to UK farmers."

Looks like we will be £3bn better off and farmers will be free to carry on without regulations! Win Win

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanderfeild)
    That was sarcasm; I'd hoped the dig at experts would be good indication.
    My first thought was that but you i wasnt certain hahahaha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.