Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I transferred course at the end of year 1, so received full student finance for that year.
    I am now in the second year of the new course but I am now in the situation where I have to repeat second year.
    My understanding is that student finance will cover you for the length of your course +1 year. So does that mean I will receive full finance for the repeat second year and third year? Or will they also take into account the original funding for the previous course?

This is something I need to know as there is no way I could possibly finance myself for the third year of my course so would have to drop out at this point.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Meme4)
    Hi all,

I transferred course at the end of year 1, so received full student finance for that year.
    I am now in the second year of the new course but I am now in the situation where I have to repeat second year.
    My understanding is that student finance will cover you for the length of your course +1 year. So does that mean I will receive full finance for the repeat second year and third year? Or will they also take into account the original funding for the previous course?

This is something I need to know as there is no way I could possibly finance myself for the third year of my course so would have to drop out at this point.
    So you've used 3 years of funding so far?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    So you've used 3 years of funding so far?
    Correct
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Meme4)
    Correct
    In that case for the repeat year, its likely you'd only get a tuition fee loan and minimum maintenance loan, unless you have compelling personal reasons you can claim to get your gift year back?

ReputationRep:
    In that case for the repeat year, its likely you'd only get a tuition fee loan and minimum maintenance loan, unless you have compelling personal reasons you can claim to get your gift year back?
    So I would get a tuition fee loan for the repeat year and final year?

It was my understanding I would have to pay the tuition fee myself for the repeat year, but I am not certain on this
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Meme4)
    So I would get a tuition fee loan for the repeat year and final year?

It was my understanding I would have to pay the tuition fee myself for the repeat year, but I am not certain on this
    My apologies, just double checked and you are correct, maintenance loans are the only thing you can get for a repeat year and your final year will be fully covered.

ReputationRep:
    My apologies, just double checked and you are correct, maintenance loans are the only thing you can get for a repeat year and your final year will be fully covered.
    Thanks,

I would guess repeating the year externally and covering my own maintenance fees through work is my only option.

Thing is, when I log onto my student finance account, it says payment are ready to be made for 2016/17. I imagine this would change when they see I am repeating second year rather than moving into third year?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Meme4)
    Thanks,

I would guess repeating the year externally and covering my own maintenance fees through work is my only option.

Thing is, when I log onto my student finance account, it says payment are ready to be made for 2016/17. I imagine this would change when they see I am repeating second year rather than moving into third year?
    Yes i presume so and yes it will change when you tell them you are repeating a year.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.