Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was in dingles with my mum today just browsing through the plates and stuff, and came across some nice stuff at 70% off!! So I've bought 3 dinner plates, side plates, and bowls, all for about £12!! That's all I intend to get until after results though, just in case it all goes wrong..!

I've also kind of upgraded to a student account, all I need to do is take in confirmation of my place once I've got my results..

And written my list of places to look for first in clearing

What about everyone else ? Is anyone really sorted already?!

ReputationRep:
    i have done...erm sod all. i think it wud kind of tempt fate so simply been earning money to pay for my day to day spending at uni ( my folks are paying fees and accommodation). i have the forms for student account but didnt seem worthwhile filling in till results are out and u can get uni confirmation. where are u hoping 2 go? OOH actually, i have a set of scales for the kitchen! my mum bought one too many by mistake ( dont ask) and so i have that!! yay, im all prepared, all i need now is my pasta and pasta sauce!! woohoo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    i have done...erm sod all. i think it wud kind of tempt fate so simply been earning money to pay for my day to day spending at uni ( my folks are paying fees and accommodation). i have the forms for student account but didnt seem worthwhile filling in till results are out and u can get uni confirmation. where are u hoping 2 go? OOH actually, i have a set of scales for the kitchen! my mum bought one too many by mistake ( dont ask) and so i have that!! yay, im all prepared, all i need now is my pasta and pasta sauce!! woohoo
    Well I figured.. It couldnt hurt to have some bowls and stuff for £12! Bargain! I have a friend who has had a big box for YEARS that she's been accumulating stuff for university / moving out in - and she's even taking a gap year! And the account was basically a case of me telling the woman at the bank that Id be upgrading to a student account after results, so I didn't have to fill in any forms or anything

I'm hoping to go to king's college london, if not, queen mary. I'm pretty set on going this september, don't want a gap year or anything. What about you? I wasn't actually going to bother with scales as I hardly ever use them for anything!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh hehe, I checked your profile & it looks like you're coming to exeter, that's where I'm from!

ReputationRep:
    is it really as small and quaint as it first seems? i was looking into going to LSE to do economics but was scared at the prospect of living in a city, let alone London!! so exeter looked perfect for me, plus really good course and perfect entry requirements, for me. how far is it to the beach?

ReputationRep:
    is it really as small and quaint as it first seems? i was looking into going to LSE to do economics but was scared at the prospect of living in a city, let alone London!! so exeter looked perfect for me, plus really good course and perfect entry requirements, for me. how far is it to the beach?
    It's not quite quaint - but the university campus itself is rather peaceful and nice. I think it's a good sized city really. Everything is within walking distance which is convenient, and it's big enough for bands to come and play and stuff actually happens here. Coming from isle of wight I reckon it will be different enough to stimulate you but not so different that you'll be totally culture shocked!! I really do like it, and if I didn't live here already I'd really like to come to exeter.

The beach.. Well, you can get to Exmouth in about 20 minutes on the train, but it's not the nicest of beaches (although if you walk around the corner when the tide is out there's quite a nice little bay around there). If you meet someone with a car though, south devon has REALLY nice beaches and that's about 40 minute drive I guess..

ReputationRep:
    ive been to devon before many a time, and many a beach i have seen! its just gonna be sort of weird not being able to walk 15minutes to the beach, oh well. yeah i would have looked into going to southampton ( which is a gud uni) but its the locality of it - too close for comfort. id have been nipping home all the time!! its about time i stood on my own two feet!!

ReputationRep:
    i´ve bought some clothes that wud make me look like a uni student.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megalomania)
    i´ve bought some clothes that wud make me look like a uni student.
    elaborate

Ive sorted out my accommodation, im going to leave cups, pans etc for when im there as i'll be living with other people therefore I dont know how much people have brought.

That, and ive feared furiously for about a week, that was bad, really bad.

ReputationRep:
    I've got myself a part-time job already and I'm mentally all geared up for going to my first choice so I'll be gutted if I fail my exams.

ReputationRep:
    Ive not done very much but this is what i have done:

got leaflet about student rail card and will sort that out in next few days

got info about upgrading my bank account to a student one and will also sort that in near future

i thought about the music i wana take!!

i have some stationary kinda ready!! after clearing up from my exams

the next thing im gona do is clothes shopping.

and apart from all that ive been getting myself **** scared!!

ReputationRep:
    Well I've made a list of everything I need to take + stuff I'll need to buy, then bought some of that (the rest will have to wait until I get there and see what everyone else has that I'm sharing with)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eternalsunshine)
    And the account was basically a case of me telling the woman at the bank that Id be upgrading to a student account after results, so I didn't have to fill in any forms or anything
    What Bank? I was told by Halifax that I couldn't upgrade my account, I'd have to open a new one in September. But then I talked to another member of staff the week before who said I could just upgrade it now.

I guess it doesn't matter that much, I can just close the old one if I need to.

Other than that, I have done sod all, apart from apply for a loan. I even got a nagging letter from Cambridge this morning because I still haven't sent them the stuff they needed for matriculation (which they asked for in march - oops!). Will get to that now the exams are over.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really thought about it. It is far to soon to decide. But i know i'm gonna take the following

Television
    Video
    Music system
    Laptop
    Printer
    Books for course
    Work from my A-level courses as they reflect the course i will be studying
    All my CD, DVD's and Mini discs
    Photos
    ALARM CLOCK
    All my clothes plus new clothes
    Food
    Fan

Don't know what else ...........

What is everyone else going to take?

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I have my results already so I know I'm into my first choice...but I haven't even though about what I'll be taking to uni! I think I'll just chuck some stuff in my car the day before and hope for the best!

ReputationRep:
    I've booked my flight!

ReputationRep:
    I have not done anything...yet. I did make a list yesterday of all the things that I needed to buy and the costs. I've looked up stuff for a railcard too..but that is about it.
    Not getting my hopes up too much ..actually, doing all this has put me off going to a uni away from home!

Am I the only one not undertaking a huge wardrobe revamp for uni?!? :confused:...lol....the only clothing I am going to be forced into buying is a new cap because I gave my favorite one to a friend yesterday. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Am I the only one not undertaking a huge wardrobe revamp for uni?!? :confused:...lol....the only clothing I am going to be forced into buying is a new cap because I gave my favorite one to a friend yesterday. :rolleyes:
    I wish I was!!! I guess I'll get a few new things as I tend to get some new stuff for autumn time anyway, but i'm not going to go crazy getting things especially for uni.. Besides, as soon as I get to london i know I'll go crazy with the shopping, best to save any clothes budget for then!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    I haven't really thought about it. It is far to soon to decide. But i know i'm gonna take the following

Television
    Video
    Music system
    Laptop
    Printer
    Books for course
    Work from my A-level courses as they reflect the course i will be studying
    All my CD, DVD's and Mini discs
    Photos
    ALARM CLOCK
    All my clothes plus new clothes
    Food
    Fan

Don't know what else ...........

What is everyone else going to take?

With all that stuff, I would would strongly suggest that you invest in some extension cables.

This year, had it not been for my extension cables, I would have had 4 plug sockets to run my PC (2 plugs needed - Monitor & Tower), Printer, HiFi, TV and DVD Player off. Not good !

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.